Tenant asking for washer/dryer in SFR Rental

27 Replies

Hi,

I have a SFR in Surprise, AZ. My prior tenant just left so I am listing it for vacancy. We got a good application from a Military couple that are asking for 2 year lease but they need a washer/dryer added to the home. I am from a Military family so am partial to supporting the Armed Forces.

Has anyone encountered this scenario before?  I am debating about purchasing the washer/dryer (~estimating about 1200-1300 from looking at Home Depot) or potentially renting them from a furniture rental company and building it into the rent. 

Has anyone encountered this scenario?

Thanks

Dean

Yes, I told them their rent will be $50 more per month, and they agreed. Given that this is a military couple, I'd do it for free if it were my rental. 

@Dean Suzuki

We just recently signed a lease and found that many good tenants want this especially if you are looking in expensive area's.  We actually remodeled the unit right before the lease and did not add this and regret not doing it. In our case this is multiplex so there is shared laundry but tenants seem to prefer in unit.

We will be doing it now and for any units we renovate.

Originally posted by @Minh Le :

Yes, I told them their rent will be $50 more per month, and they agreed. Given that this is a military couple, I'd do it for free if it were my rental. 

ditto...

I provide washer and dryer in all of my rental units. It adds great value to the tenant and of course demands a higher rent. I also know what exactly is in the unit and how it has been installed vs the tenant bringing in their own and trying to hook it up and cause and who knows what type of issue.

@Dean Suzuki

I personally would not, but that is of course up to you. The tenant can easily rent one, the problem with providing it is that you will have to repair it if there are any issues. The difference between washer dryer and other appliances is that most appliance won't be "overused". You can stuff too many clothes in a washer, or not change the lint filter in a dryer, let the washer go out of balance and damage the unit. 

I too provide a washer/dryer in all my sfr's. I don't buy them new, however, I have located appliance re-builders in most areas where my properties are located. Their machines are refurbished and look near new and I've had almost no issues with them. The few times I have needed repairs, the re-builder have quickly fixed them and at a low cost.

I used to offer them at $10/wk when I had apartments.  I paid something around $400 for the pair new from a wholesaler (buying 10 at a time).   I still have a set of those on the houseboat in my profile pic (it's a friend of mine's) 10 years later.  Don't go buy $1,200 worth, that's crazy.  Get something that does the job and doesn't look crazy cheap (refurb or just very basic) and either include it in rent like they say or spread the cost over 1-2 years and keep them in the unit as a value add.

Just FYI, I pretty much always build in the cost of a stackable in a unit that needs it since nobody has them and they pretty much start at $1k.

If you buy them that is up to you.    But don't go rent them from a rental company, that is crazy.   You'll pay 5 times what it will cost to go to Home Depot and buy them.   

get the cheapest washer at HD for $400. it's a capital expense, so you get to depreciate it.

or buy from CL and you risk to replace it in 1 month.

whenever we have them we put on the lease that we are not responsible if they go bad.

Originally posted by @Randy Beadles :

I too provide a washer/dryer in all my sfr's. I don't buy them new, however, I have located appliance re-builders in most areas where my properties are located. Their machines are refurbished and look near new and I've had almost no issues with them. The few times I have needed repairs, the re-builder have quickly fixed them and at a low cost.

that's a great idea. how did you locate those guys? what should i look for online?

Wow.  Thanks for all the feedback.  I appreciate it.

Thanks BP Community,

Dean

You could get some cheap used ones from the Salvation Army or Craigslist. They probably don't care, as long as they can wash their clothes.

I bought a used washer/dryer set from a used appliance store for only $250.  Despite being used, they came with a 1-year warranty.

I bought them 3 1/2 years ago and they are still working just fine (knock on wood!).

I would purchase them and rent them to the tenants. You should have a fast payback and they should be pretty dependable for at least 5 years.

George I find them using an " appliance rebuilt" search on Google. I usually pay $100 each for a washer and dryer and they are in much better condition than just used on Craigslist. Good re-builders stand behind their machines too and usually have a slew of parts so no wait for an expensive new part to ship.

We don't ever provide them in our single family homes. They can be expensive to maintain, and in our market we can't get more in rent.

The less you leave in a home, the less you have to track and deal with.

I'd say leave them out. If the tenant is okay with paying more per month, why aren't they okay with just purchasing their own?

We have had good luck with "scratch and dent" appliances. If you can buy them right, they are a moneymaker when you build them into the rent.

I love military couples and my husband is active duty. That being said I would not offer it for free for a long term lease. The scra allows military tenants a lot of flexibility in terminating their lease legally including training   is more than 90 (which happens frequently)

I personally do not offer washer or dryers. They break more often and were the number one source for repairs. That's my experience

This post has been removed.

@Dean Suzuki

Have the tenant purchase or finance the set and then agree on a discounted price you could purchase the set from them when they move.

Frank

Buy from a used appliance store and make the tenant responsible for any repair costs.

We provide appliances for an extra fee like @Minh Le mentioned above. 

You don't have to go high end and install a $1300 combo though. Used appliances will do just fine. This can be market-dependent though.

Heck no. If your SFH has hookups, then let them get their own washer and dryer. In my opinion, that was an obnoxious thing to ask you to provide. Buy them a washer and dryer, and what's next? In my experience a tenant like this will be constant high maintenance, asking for all kinds of crazy stuff.

Could you personally imagine being an applicant and asking the landlord if he'd buy you a washer and dryer?  If you're like me, the answer is a huge NO WAY.  I would never in a million years ever have the cojones to ask a landlord to buy me a washer and dryer.  Or new curtains, or new carpets, or anything else.

But, my personal experience with tenants who would ask for something of this magnitude, and they know you're easily looking at a thousand dollars, is that they will then ask for more and more and more.  Renting to tenants like these, will be more time consuming and higher maintenance than just dealing with the washer and dryer.  Been there.

I would say no.

And just as an aside, just because someone was in the military, doesn't mean they will be a fantastic tenant.  For instance, the soldier may have married a very high-maintenance wife.  My point just being, don't ignore any red flags just because you're dealing with active military or a vet.

I supply them in all 4 of my units but only use the ones from a local rebuilder . He gives good deals and warrants them for 6 months. Anything after that is a cheap fix.  I find it makes my renters happy and doesn't cost me much to supply. I usually get the pair for around 300 bucks. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here