Investor · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2013 · 48 posts · 14 votes
Hi,
I have a SFR in Surprise, AZ. My prior tenant just left so I am listing it for vacancy. We got a good application from a Military couple that are asking for 2 year lease but they need a washer/dryer added to the home. I am from a Military family so am partial to supporting the Armed Forces.
Has anyone encountered this scenario before? I am debating about purchasing the washer/dryer (~estimating about 1200-1300 from looking at Home Depot) or potentially renting them from a furniture rental company and building it into the rent.
Investor · Bolton, MA · Member since 2012 · 133 posts · 72 votes
11y
I provide washer and dryer in all of my rental units. It adds great value to the tenant and of course demands a higher rent. I also know what exactly is in the unit and how it has been installed vs the tenant bringing in their own and trying to hook it up and cause and who knows what type of issue.
Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y
Yes, I told them their rent will be $50 more per month, and they agreed. Given that this is a military couple, I'd do it for free if it were my rental.
We just recently signed a lease and found that many good tenants want this especially if you are looking in expensive area's. We actually remodeled the unit right before the lease and did not add this and regret not doing it. In our case this is multiplex so there is shared laundry but tenants seem to prefer in unit.
We will be doing it now and for any units we renovate.
Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
Yes, I told them their rent will be $50 more per month, and they agreed. Given that this is a military couple, I'd do it for free if it were my rental.
Investor · Bolton, MA · Member since 2012 · 133 posts · 72 votes
11y
I provide washer and dryer in all of my rental units. It adds great value to the tenant and of course demands a higher rent. I also know what exactly is in the unit and how it has been installed vs the tenant bringing in their own and trying to hook it up and cause and who knows what type of issue.
I personally would not, but that is of course up to you. The tenant can easily rent one, the problem with providing it is that you will have to repair it if there are any issues. The difference between washer dryer and other appliances is that most appliance won't be "overused". You can stuff too many clothes in a washer, or not change the lint filter in a dryer, let the washer go out of balance and damage the unit.
Investor · River Falls, WI · Member since 2011 · 23 posts · 4 votes
11y
I too provide a washer/dryer in all my sfr's. I don't buy them new, however, I have located appliance re-builders in most areas where my properties are located. Their machines are refurbished and look near new and I've had almost no issues with them. The few times I have needed repairs, the re-builder have quickly fixed them and at a low cost.
Rehabber · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2013 · 864 posts · 510 votes
11y
I used to offer them at $10/wk when I had apartments. I paid something around $400 for the pair new from a wholesaler (buying 10 at a time). I still have a set of those on the houseboat in my profile pic (it's a friend of mine's) 10 years later. Don't go buy $1,200 worth, that's crazy. Get something that does the job and doesn't look crazy cheap (refurb or just very basic) and either include it in rent like they say or spread the cost over 1-2 years and keep them in the unit as a value add.
Just FYI, I pretty much always build in the cost of a stackable in a unit that needs it since nobody has them and they pretty much start at $1k.
Contractor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2013 · 767 posts · 389 votes
11y
If you buy them that is up to you. But don't go rent them from a rental company, that is crazy. You'll pay 5 times what it will cost to go to Home Depot and buy them.
I too provide a washer/dryer in all my sfr's. I don't buy them new, however, I have located appliance re-builders in most areas where my properties are located. Their machines are refurbished and look near new and I've had almost no issues with them. The few times I have needed repairs, the re-builder have quickly fixed them and at a low cost.
that's a great idea. how did you locate those guys? what should i look for online?
Investor · River Falls, WI · Member since 2011 · 23 posts · 4 votes
11y
George I find them using an " appliance rebuilt" search on Google. I usually pay $100 each for a washer and dryer and they are in much better condition than just used on Craigslist. Good re-builders stand behind their machines too and usually have a slew of parts so no wait for an expensive new part to ship.
Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
I love military couples and my husband is active duty. That being said I would not offer it for free for a long term lease. The scra allows military tenants a lot of flexibility in terminating their lease legally including training is more than 90 (which happens frequently)
I personally do not offer washer or dryers. They break more often and were the number one source for repairs. That's my experience
San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y
Heck no. If your SFH has hookups, then let them get their own washer and dryer. In my opinion, that was an obnoxious thing to ask you to provide. Buy them a washer and dryer, and what's next? In my experience a tenant like this will be constant high maintenance, asking for all kinds of crazy stuff.
Could you personally imagine being an applicant and asking the landlord if he'd buy you a washer and dryer? If you're like me, the answer is a huge NO WAY. I would never in a million years ever have the cojones to ask a landlord to buy me a washer and dryer. Or new curtains, or new carpets, or anything else.
But, my personal experience with tenants who would ask for something of this magnitude, and they know you're easily looking at a thousand dollars, is that they will then ask for more and more and more. Renting to tenants like these, will be more time consuming and higher maintenance than just dealing with the washer and dryer. Been there.
I would say no.
And just as an aside, just because someone was in the military, doesn't mean they will be a fantastic tenant. For instance, the soldier may have married a very high-maintenance wife. My point just being, don't ignore any red flags just because you're dealing with active military or a vet.
Investor · Rocky Face, GA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
11y
I supply them in all 4 of my units but only use the ones from a local rebuilder . He gives good deals and warrants them for 6 months. Anything after that is a cheap fix. I find it makes my renters happy and doesn't cost me much to supply. I usually get the pair for around 300 bucks.
Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 1 vote
11y
Our SFR had no appliances when we bought it and it does have hook ups for washer and dryer. We bought a used refer and stove but told tenants they could purchase their own washer & dryer and even told them where the used appliance store is located. At first, they said they would just go to a laundromat but then indicated they would buy their own. One less expense for us!
Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y
@Dean Suzuki If this rental is in a higher end rental area then I would include the W/D at no cost to the tenant because they have more of a likelihood to take care of it.
The worse quality of area and therefore tenant I always recommend just supplying the hookup and if it is a horrible area to not even have a w/d.