• Investor
  • Bryan, TX
Votes |
New Tenant becoming a problem before they move in-HELP

Tobi Van Zandt
  • Investor
  • Bryan, TX
Posted Jun 26 2015, 15:36

My new tenants on one of my properties signed a lease a couple weeks ago with a move in date of July 1st.  When they saw the house my previous tenants were still in the process of moving out.  New tenants signed the lease with no repairs requested.  New tenant told me she had asthma and I told her that I was having the carpets cleaned along with the entire house before they moved in, which I did.  Previous tenants had house dogs as do new tenants so I had no intention of replacing the carpet.  Since it was cleaned new tenant went to the house to measure for her furniture and afterwards let me know that she couldn't handle the smell of the carpet and that she wants it replaced.  She offered to pay for half of it.  My husband went over to the property and said it doesn't smell bad.  I called to tell her that we will have them steam cleaned a 2nd time but that we have no intention of replacing the carpet as it is still in good condition.  She took a tone with me that in itself makes me not want to rent to her.  She started telling me how bad her asthma is and that she had to go to the doctor and get 7 prescriptions after being in the house to measure rooms.  I'm ready to terminate and find a new tenant.  I was already taking a chance on them because they are in pre-foreclosure and they credit's not so great, but I had a good vibe about them and I try to help people out when I can.  The good vibe is now gone.  What should I do?

Loading replies...