Rental property with a pool

12 Replies

I found what seems to a great deal for a potential rental property here in my home town. The only thing is that the house as an in-ground pool in the yard. If anyone could give me some advice on the advantages and disadvantages of having a rental property with a pool, I would greatly appreciate it! Warmest regards, Matthew Fragassi

Seems like a headache to deal with in terms of the upkeep of the pool, not to mention the liability aspect of things should someone get hurt or worse while around the pool.

Is this your first deal?  What kind of neighborhood is the house in?

@Matthew Fragassi

You may be able to attract more tenants with a pool, but in my opinion I would probably avoid it. There would be a lot of increased liability, higher insurance premium, and more maintenance. I cannot speak from experience since I don't have any pools, and I'm not sure of the statistics (injuries, lawsuits, etc.) or the costs of maintenance. So take that all at face value, but that's just what I would assume to be some things to consider.

Also, it's important to note too that this would depend on your area and market. You're in PA, but say you were in Arizona, and it was 100 degrees everyday, and every rental has a pool. In that case, it might help you out to have a pool, and might be worth the extra maintenance and insurance. I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this as well.

I bought a house with a pool in Illinois. It was a massive pain, opening and closing it each year. This was my own personal house, and I thought I would be in the pool every day. Nope.

You still have to keep it clean every day, and the added liability just doesn't make it worth in, in my opinion. 

Originally posted by @Matthew Fragassi :
I found what seems to a great deal for a potential rental property here in my home town. The only thing is that the house as an in-ground pool in the yard.

If anyone could give me some advice on the advantages and disadvantages of having a rental property with a pool, I would greatly appreciate it!

Warmest regards,

Matthew Fragassi

Hello Matthew,

I certainly understand your concern. If you already purchase the property, you should remain calm and focus on the POSITIVES which the property has to offer rather than the NEGATIVES. If you did not purchase it yet, the liability of someone being hurt and maintenance should definitely be a concern.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Michael Noto :

Seems like a headache to deal with in terms of the upkeep of the pool, not to mention the liability aspect of things should someone get hurt or worse while around the pool.

Is this your first deal?  What kind of neighborhood is the house in?

This is my first property. 

It's a smaller town just outside of State College, PA. So the neighborhood is a fairly decent one, great school district and close to major roads and highways. 

Maintenance and liability are bigger problems than you think. My dad bought a rental house with a pool because it looked like a good deal. We found out later that a child had drowned in the pool a couple of years earlier. The tenant did absolutely nothing to take care of the pool. I had to make several visits concerning pool leaks and maintenance. It also took a long time to sell the house too. If the deal still looked good after factoring in the cost of filling in the pool, go for it. 

If you were to buy it and offer the rental with the pool being an amenity, make sure you are very specific in case something should happen in the lease agreement. It could be something great, but potentially damaging to you if you're not careful. Consider getting weekly cleaning quotes that include bi-yearly full maintenance on pumps, and pipes etc..then include it in the rent?  

You can always fill in the pool. Not sure how much that would cost, but it seems the one time hit would pay for itself over time.

Pools can be a nice amenity, but I personally don't buy rentals with pools because of the potential liability and costs associated with them. 

Speaking of costs, if I did have a rental with a pool, I would factor in the cost of you (the landlord) providing/paying for the regular maintenance and chemical treatment because tenants aren't likely to do it (at least not properly). 

Also, definitely make sure you fence it. Here's a California case (Johnson v Prasad) that highlights very well the potential liability on the landlord's part for having a pool and not fencing it (even if not legally required to do so). 

in Arizona (Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Glendale, Peoria, etc...) is a HUGE plus. 

Find a cheap pool guy or a kid that will take $20/month. 

This post has been removed.

@Matthew Fragassi assuming this property is in PA and given the limited swim season in PA I would consider filling it in.  Should be able to do that for a few K.  If this is a high end property with an indoor pool or the pool is unique in some way you might consider keeping it but I would probably just remove it.  

The good new is that it may be keeping other investors from pulling the trigger and you may get a better deal.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here