I'm not renewing the lease . . .

8 Replies

For a military couple.  The husband was deployed out of the country for 6-9 months recently and unfortunately, the wife doesn't know how to maintain our townhouse.  I have had thousands of mold, landscape and appliance damage/replacements in the last 4 months. I'm not going to bore you with my tale of woe.  I'm sucking it up because of the situation. 

All I know is that I'm getting them out of the property after the lease expires.  I understand the early termination clause for active military, but there's no problem for not renewing a lease, right? 

I'll still feel guilty.  

You should check to see if you need to give them advance notice. The amount varies depending where you live.

You are justified in kicking them out when the lease expires. It's natural to feel guilty. However If tenants can't take care of your property, then you should look for better tenants. 

I'm a veteran and I can corroborate that there are some families that do not maintain their housing area.  Don't feel guilty about not renewing the lease. First, this is a business and you need to do what you have to do.

Second, military bases have housing for families and they probably will be able to get it.

Third, assignments at bases usually are for 2-3 years, at least when I was active duty, so they would be moving eventually anyway.

Expect them to resist you on this though, and attack on your patriotism possibly.  Stick to your plan.  They will do fine.  The military takes care of their own, or at least they did when I was in.

Originally posted by @Carlos Enriquez :

I'm a veteran and I can corroborate that there are some families that do not maintain their housing area.  Don't feel guilty about not renewing the lease. First, this is a business and you need to do what you have to do.

Second, military bases have housing for families and they probably will be able to get it.

Third, assignments at bases usually are for 2-3 years, at least when I was active duty, so they would be moving eventually anyway.

Expect them to resist you on this though, and attack on your patriotism possibly.  Stick to your plan.  They will do fine.  The military takes care of their own, or at least they did when I was in.

Im also a vet. I second this opinion. they have options on post, and some of these people have always lived on post or with their parents and have no idea what it takes to take care of a property properly. Don't let them guilt you, they are the ones who screwed this up for themselves. If they try to pull anything dirty or underhanded don't forget you can always go to their chain of command as long as it is a legitimate issue. Their command is responsible for keeping their soldiers in line, even including making sure they pay their bills. 

@Janice R.

As a veteran myself I agree absolutely with your intent to not renew the lease.  Do the right thing for you. When emotion get's involved, you tend to make decisions that hurt your business.  Comply with local law and your lease and do what you need to do that's in your best interest. 

You already know the right answer. It's your emotions that are making you ask the question here.  

Stick to your guns. Good luck.

Dax

I'll chime in, also as a vet. Just because someone is in the military doesn't mean they're a good person. There were lots of db's in when I was in, some who end up getting processed out on BCD or DD, some who end up flying under the radar and retiring with a nice pension. And even when the service member is decent, doesn't mean the spouse or kids are. I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty. If they screwed up your place, be done with them. 

@Dax Middlebrooks   @Kevin Harrison  

@JD Martin

@Alberto De jesus

@Carlos Enriquez

Thank you all for your wise advice and counsel.  I have to stop "mothering" these tenants.   You are absolutely right that it is the right decision for our business.   

They are nice people, just young and they never had a real house to take care of.  But they'll be fine and get another rental easily in the area.  

OK, yes, I will pay for $40 for my carpet guy to move their pool table tomorrow - but I'm OK with that because it's a very good business decision!   ;-) 

Thanks again all!

Not renewing is the right call. Sometimes it's the emotional side of things that clouds the business side of things, particularly when the tenants are nice people. Just make sure you have everything documented and set aside showing the reason you're not offering renewal, follow the local laws, and you should be fine.

@Tim Booz

Thanks - I'm not sure I'm going give them any reason at all - which is consistent with the lease, county and state law.  However, I do have lots of documentation if it gets emotional.