Fridge handle broke

7 Replies

My tenants (3 unrelated adults) informed me that handle of the Fridge is broke. The fridge was new and they were the first to use it. They said they do not know how it was broke. How to handle this type of incidents ? Ask them to fix it or I fix it now and bill them later ?

Thanks for your thoughts. The handle is about $35. So it makes sense not to bother them with it, right ?

My fridge is over 10 years old.  Bought it brand new.  Me, my wife, and 2 kids.  Never broke the handle.

3 adults break a new fridge handle.  Replace it and  bill them.

Ryan B. 

I know.  We have used many fridges - old and new. Never managed to break the handle. I decided to cover the costs this time with a warning. 

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

navin, I totally understand, and even check if it is really broke or even installed correct (if new and delivered with it not installed they may have never got it on right, or if they had to do a door swing side switch, they could have screwed it up...) lots of facts In every situation to think about.. Then big picture, under fifty bucks or so, I take a few lumps for the larger rent check and long term happy tenant....could be penny wise pound foolish to come down too hard as they may not renew.....if you are the helpful guy who saved the day, they may stay a few years.. If you are the angry guy, you may be right (it was their fault) but you may also be looking for a new tenant and the vacancy could cost a few grand with turn around and lost rent, plus your time...agree, if they break it twice, they pay....

Originally posted by @Navin Naik:

Ryan B. 

I know.  We have used many fridges - old and new. Never managed to break the handle. I decided to cover the costs this time with a warning. 

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Probably, the best idea.  Not worth the hassle for the relatively small dollar amount.

Another fridge issue addressed here: http://www.joetenant.com/ask-a-pm/2015/7/16/refrigerator-broke-took-10-days-to-get-tenant-a-replacement