Votes
Renee R.
  • Sandown, NH
Votes |
Rent increase on bad tenants

Renee R.
  • Sandown, NH
Posted Jan 5 2016, 06:59

Since I only have two years of REI under my belt, this is more of a check in to see if I'm going down the right path here and if there's anything else I could be doing.

I have trouble tenants that I inherited and their lease expires 3/31/16. I'm hoping they will not renew by raising the rent significantly—thinking of going from $1,295 to $1,500, the median rent for the area. I would give them more than 60 days’ notice (and would also provide the new lease at least 30 days in advance with the new rent amount). Any experience with how effective this will be? I’ve been told to raise the rent to $2,000, but I really wouldn’t be able to rent to new tenants at that rate. How would that look to a judge if I ultimately have to go to court?

I previously offered cash for keys due to other issues, but they wouldn’t budge. Due to the angry texts and phone calls from them, not to mention their other criminal behaviour (assaults, shoplifting with child in tow), I don’t want to reason with them or talk in person any more. 

I’m hoping the rent increase and the extended notice to find something else will get them out.

Anything else I should be doing?

Loading replies...