Holding Repair Capital

Holding Repair Capital

Hudson, OH · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 9 votes

Hi All,

I know it's standard practice to count a certain percentage (I've heard 10%) of the rent you get from a property as going towards repairs.  However, as I'm sure everyone is aware, these can be very "chunky".  You could go several months with no costs whatsoever, and then get hit a $3000 air conditioning bill.

My question regards how people handle this with capital.  Is it standard practice to just continually put away that 10% in a special account that's for "repair funds" for each property?  Do people just have a capital account that they keep at a certain level and replenish from the rent from all of their properties when it dips below a certain level?  If so, how do you calculate what that capital amount is?  As a percentage of the assessed value of the properties?

Any insight on this is much appreciated.  Thanks in advance for the advice!

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y

Yes. Always stash that percentage away for a rainy day. Keep adding to it. You will need it someday.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Yes. Always stash that percentage away for a rainy day. Keep adding to it. You will need it someday.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 506 posts · 311 votes
    10y

    As a rule, I try to keep 8 months mortgages in reserve.  I pull from that for repairs.

    In 2015 I only "missed" by $60k.....ouch!  Foundations in Texas....

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    I take all the funds from rental income and dump them in one account, pay all the bills out of it and just keep letting it grow until it hits a number that I can safely say will take care of any unplanned expense. Figure a couple grand per unit while accounting for economies of scale (not all will go wrong on all units at the same time).

    whatever is leftover OVER that amount, I use to fund next deals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.