Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Andy K
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Advice on a mold issue reported by tenant

Andy K
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted May 25 2016, 07:06

Hi all,

I would like some advice on an issue we are facing at our rental right now.

We have a 2-storey rental home (built in 2005), where the tenant called us in early January saying they are seeing a 2ft by 2ft wet spot on the ceiling and adjacent drywall of an upper storey bedroom. Thinking that this was a leak in the roof (since we were having some high winds and rains at that time), I immediately sent a roofing company to take a look at it. The roofing company said there was a leak, and within few days the leak in the roof was fixed. I asked the roofing company at that time if there was anything more I need to do, since the area inside the roof must have got wet due to the rains, and they told me not to worry and to paint the discoloration on the drywall that happened due to the water, after the drywall dries up.

The leak had happened in the ceiling of the room, which is the tenant's child's bedroom.

Few months have gone by, and I get a call from the tenant yesterday that the child has been having breathing problems and issues with the lungs for the past couple weeks. They tell me that the child has always been very healthy and never had any issues like that before this. No treatment is working so far, and the doctor adviced them to see if there was any mold in the home. Now the tenant is saying that at the time the roof was fixed, the wetness inside walls and ceiling was not removed and has now become mold, which is affecting their child. I asked if they see any black growth on the spot where the leak happened, or any odor in the room, but they said both those things are not present.

They are saying they are concerned and not very happy right now, and are hiring a mold inspector on their own to see if there is mold growth that happened due to the roof leak. Yesterday's phone call was the first communication with them regarding the roof leak issue, since the time the roof has been fixed. Its not that they told me anything about this before and I did not take any action on it.

Can experienced folks suggest what I should be doing now? Should I be sending a mold inspector on my own to the home to inspect it as well? Or wait for them to do the inspection and see what they find? From your experience, is it possible for mold to grow inside the walls and affect people inside the home, due to a roof leak about 5 months ago, that was fixed pretty quickly after it was reported?

Any advice on how I should handle this urgent matter is much appreciated. Thanks.

Loading replies...