Votes
Lu Carter
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Need to make an applicant decision

Lu Carter
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jun 11 2016, 13:51

I have received an application from a husband and wife for my SFH in the Austin area. Rent is 1,950 mo. I am not pressured to get someone in right away but of course I would like to. I don't have any other applications at this point but this is the active season.

Husband is coming from another state to begin job in same field as past job.  Salary is higher than nec to meet my requirements and I have verified his employment.  Have spoken to past landlords also.  He rents his current house for only $975.  He has never been late with rent but the landlord has never been inside the property since it was leased in 2013.  Now here is the kicker. Wife's mysmartmove score is 801 and husband's is 543. He has credit limit of $210. 5 years ago he had numerous late student loan payments.  Also he has a slew of vehicle related issues under his criminal report.  None appear to be serious.  The most recent ones, settled in 2015, involve driving without insurance and driving with an expired plate.  (During that time he was making a high salary so this seems like an example of financial irresponsibility to me.) 

Normally I only accept very qualified tenants. This is a B+ class property. Before I saw his credit/criminal report I was going to offer the lease with a double deposit.  Now I considering denying the application.

Opinion are welcome.

Loading replies...