• Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
Big city versus Small Town multifamily?

Darwin Crawford
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Posted Jun 23 2016, 08:46

Hey there BP,

So I'm looking around at expanding my portfolio into some out of state rentals, mostly because my home market is really hot right now and pricing is through the roof, depressing cap rates to unacceptable levels for me.  

So - I've found some deals through work, and one in particular is really catching my eye.  Its a 6-unit building, 100% occupied, with 26% cap rate and deferred maintenance.  Construction doesn't bother me a bit, and I'm working on getting over my fear of remote-landlording, but I do have some questions for the world about the success of small-town stuff.  

This place is located in a small agricultural town in Texas, with good local economy, and is occupied by what appears to be immigrant farm workers and their families.  When i say small, I mean 3500 people.  I'm no stranger to small-town life, and it seems that turnover here is really, really low, which I like.  Things are cheaper in small towns, and the local economy is stable, if slightly monotone.

What have people's experiences been like in small towns?  The cap rates I see are unbelievable, but I can't imagine there is much appreciation at all.  

Positive/negative stories all welcome, or well-informed criticism.  Trust me I can take it.  

Loading replies...