Unit/Lease Registration in Jersey City / Hudson County NJ

Unit/Lease Registration in Jersey City / Hudson County NJ

New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 155 posts · 41 votes

I own a triplex in Jersey City.  My units are now all rented.  I've been told by a couple of different sources that I need to register my units and/or leases.  This would come into play if I ever had to file for an evictions.  For background for those who know NJ.  I do have a green card, which came with the building when I bought it.  The building was empty at the time.  I have since renovated and rented it.

What no one seems to be able to tell me is who I need to register the unit/leases with.  I talked to the JC Office of Landlord Tenant Relations.  They don't care.  They only deal with buildings over five units that may be subject to rent regulation.  I called the Hudson County housing court.  They told me to call the state.  I called the state.   They said the green card registration was sufficient.

So am I good?  Am I missing something?

0Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 48 votes
10y

See my post here for some useful info on green card inspections:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/432/topics/18...

All you have to do is register with the NJ state DCA.  Just because you have a green card already isn't sufficient.  You have to notify the DCA that the ownership changed so that they can issue a new "card" which is basically piece of paper you post on a bulletin board somewhere in your property in a conspicuous place.  It will have your info on it as the owner.

See below for forms related to registering with the DCA and other useful info:

Forms: http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes/offices/hous...

FAQs: http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes/offices/bhi_...

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2012 · 204 posts · 109 votes
    10y

    @Michael Wolffs - Can you follow up with your sources? My understanding is the same as yours.

    I'm under contract on a 3-family rental in JC as well. Not sure of any other offices or agencies that would be involved for a 1-4 unit building. I assume this is the form for registering, but it comes from the Office of Landlord Tenant Relations, which doesn't seem to care < 5 units. It's silent to any registration requirements, but I've never heard of any requirement other than the NJ DCA green card filing for this type of property in JC.

    Let me know if you're able to uncover any other details...

  • Developer · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 48 votes
    10y

    See my post here for some useful info on green card inspections:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/432/topics/18...

    All you have to do is register with the NJ state DCA.  Just because you have a green card already isn't sufficient.  You have to notify the DCA that the ownership changed so that they can issue a new "card" which is basically piece of paper you post on a bulletin board somewhere in your property in a conspicuous place.  It will have your info on it as the owner.

    See below for forms related to registering with the DCA and other useful info:

    Forms: http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes/offices/hous...

    FAQs: http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes/offices/bhi_...

  • Developer · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 48 votes
    10y

    @Michael Wolffs @Ryan Goldfarb Forgot to mention you guys in my response.  See response above.  Just to clarify, they don't re-inspect the property.  They just re-issue the certificate with the updated ownership info.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 155 posts · 41 votes
    10y

    So it's just the green card thing.  There's nothing with the city?

  • Developer · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 48 votes
    10y

    @Michael Wolffs I don't own in Jersey City, but I've never come across any regulations requiring any notification or registration with the city for 3-families.  I've done a decent amount of research on JC regulations, and your research seems to agree as well.  If it were rent controlled (5+ units), then you have to register the rents with the city but that's not applicable in your case.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 155 posts · 41 votes
    10y

    @Kevin K. I've come to that conclusion.  I'm trying to update the green card registration to show my ownership.  That's proving problematic.

  • Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Thanks for all your thoughts--I just got a 2 unit in JC as well--is the consensus that we need to Register, pay the $10 per unit (I assume rent control doesn't apply given it's not a commercial property), and that's all that's required? 

  • Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Actually--I did some more digging @Michael Wolffs and@Ryan Goldfarb. I believe @Julie Verardi was asking as well. In JC, you would need to register. See attached link. Looks like you have to register AND send it to your tenants. And in an eviction scenario, you need to certify that you've complied with the registration requirement. Let me know if you have questions.

    http://cityofjerseycity.com/uploadedFiles/City_Gov...).pdf

  • Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Here's the link @Michael Wolffs

    http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/cityclerk/

    Click on Landlord Registration Form.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 155 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    Alex,

    Look at the address on the form, it's not JC, it's the state. I believe that's the Green Card registration I mentioned originally.  I may give the clerk's office a call to see if there is anything in addition to the green card which is necessary.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 155 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    Just got off the phone with the JC City Clerk's office.  If you have an 1 or 2 family rental, you need to register it with the city.  3 or more, you need to register it with the state.  Of course, if you have a 5 unit or more property, you need to register it with their rent control people (Office of Landlord Tenant Relations.)  So 3 or 4, you just deal with the state.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ/PA · Member since 2016 · 555 posts · 149 votes
    7y

    3 or 4, you just deal with the state.??  

    By law, every landlord of a dwelling, except owner-occupied
    premises with not more than two (2) rental units, must file
    with the clerk of the municipality in which the residential
    property is situated, or with the Bureau of Housing Inspection
    in the Department of Community Affairs, a certificate of
    registration (N.J.S.A. 46:8-28).




    Originally posted by @Michael Wolffs:

    Just got off the phone with the JC City Clerk's office.  If you have an 1 or 2 family rental, you need to register it with the city.  3 or more, you need to register it with the state.  Of course, if you have a 5 unit or more property, you need to register it with their rent control people (Office of Landlord Tenant Relations.)  So 3 or 4, you just deal with the state.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.