• Flipper/Rehabber
  • Golden, CO
Votes |
Window Well Water Intrusion Solutions for Egress Window

Kyle Doney
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Golden, CO
Posted Jul 25 2016, 16:01

I have a window well that doesn't have a cover on it and I want to keep water out of the window well. When we had a storm the other week, I had some water seep in because of how fast the rain came down (first time in 3 years since I owned the house). It caused it to pool at the bottom of the window well and seeped in and soak my carpet. I had to replace carpet pad and it was a total hassle. 

The problem with getting a well cover is that the window is taller than the hole, so putting a cover over it wont allow the egress window to open in case of an emergency, thus creating the same type of liability issue with allowing a tenant to sleep in a downstairs room with an egress. 

I could put a statement/ warning in my lease banning using the room as a bedroom, but as a finished basement, tenants will still want to sleep down there as its the largest bedroom in the house and has a bathroom. It could also effect the marketability of the property and rent I get on the house.  Anyone have any solutions to this issue?

Loading replies...