Is having radiator heat in a rental a risk?

Is having radiator heat in a rental a risk?

Rental Property Investor · Midland, MI · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 31 votes

I've been looking at some older SFR's for potential rentals, however a few of them have gas boiler heating, so there are hot water radiators throught the house.

I am wondering if having the hot radiators in the house is a risk for landlords because tenants can burn themselves on them? 

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Jonathan Preciado regarding your steam heat. Nope don't trust tenant or risk them servicing this type of system. It seems odd you'd have to actually fill the system that often. somewhere or some how you must have a leak in the system to lose that much water. Have the system checked and get it figured out. We had a auto fill put on a system for a huge boiler, it serviced 2 buildings and lines went underground between them and there was a leak, we did the temp auto fill until spring when we could dig up the line and get it fixed.. your spending extra on water and it's going someplace. 

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    @Vince Gethings - not that I have heard of.  The ones I have seen don't get that hot, you can easily put your hand on it for over a minute and not hurt

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    They should be perfectly safe providing a drunk tenant does not fall asleep with their face on it. Landlord would not be liable in any event.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 511 posts · 345 votes
    9y

    You can purchase Radiator screens if you are worried about it. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Really no issue. If you don't like the look or are extremely cautious you can get those metal radiator covers. And radiators make nice bathroom towel warmers. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Midland, MI · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 31 votes
    9y

    awesome, thanks guys! I totally forgot about screens. 

  • Woodland Park, NJ · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Question: I'm currently renovating a SFH that has steam heat. The boiler in the basement requires that water be added every 1-2 weeks. Would this be the tenant's responsibility?

  • Lockport , NY · Member since 2014 · 265 posts · 124 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Preciado:

    Question: I'm currently renovating a SFH that has steam heat. The boiler in the basement requires that water be added every 1-2 weeks. Would this be the tenant's responsibility?

    My personal home has radiators, but I don't have to add water.  yours may be older, never heard of it.  I would contact a specialist and have them check it out, maybe you can easily add water lines to automate it.  seems like a huge responsibility for a tenant to worry about.  most won't bother, then you'll be sunk when the system crashes.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jonathan Preciado regarding your steam heat. Nope don't trust tenant or risk them servicing this type of system. It seems odd you'd have to actually fill the system that often. somewhere or some how you must have a leak in the system to lose that much water. Have the system checked and get it figured out. We had a auto fill put on a system for a huge boiler, it serviced 2 buildings and lines went underground between them and there was a leak, we did the temp auto fill until spring when we could dig up the line and get it fixed.. your spending extra on water and it's going someplace. 

  • Woodland Park, NJ · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Deanna McCormick  @Jeff Sprunger 

    Thanks for this - I think it is probably best for me to bring someone in to take a look, and find a way to automate or resolve.  Would not want to worry about the tenant filling (or not bothering to)!

  • Auburn, ME · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    If you are worried about tenants burning themselves on the radiators, turn down the supply temp that is going to the radiators.  My tenants have little kids and were worried about burning, so to appease them I turned down the temp a bit.  Newer gas boilers have a digital readout on it, and also only heat the water as much as they need given outside temperature and the difference between the room temp and desired setting (so it's never going to send say 210 degree water to the radiators).

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Hi @Vince Gethings - what did you end up doing?

    I'm curious because a tenant asked me to install radiator covers to protect their newborn when he crawls around. I'm not sure if that's the responsibility of the landlord.

  • Chester, VA · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    There was a case in New Jersey, (A BP Member had asked about), where a 9 month old baby had been burned on a radiator that was not equipped with a cover. The Landlord was held responsible, as he had covers in the basement in a room that was inaccessible to the tenant. If you are concerned about it, get covers. You would regret not having covers in the event of legal action.

  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Preciado:

    Question: I'm currently renovating a SFH that has steam heat. The boiler in the basement requires that water be added every 1-2 weeks. Would this be the tenant's responsibility?

    I had this problem with my first MFR. I ended up replacing system. I owner occupied unit and filling up system every week was a pain. I trusted my tenant but it was not something I wanted him doing. Find out where the bulk of the steam is leaving system, you may be able to reduce problem where you do not have to fill up so frequently. My system was old and had Leakes throughout property.

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Sprunger:

    My personal home has radiators, but I don't have to add water.  yours may be older, never heard of it.  I would contact a specialist and have them check it out, maybe you can easily add water lines to automate it.  seems like a huge responsibility for a tenant to worry about.  most won't bother, then you'll be sunk when the system crashes.

     Old system issue.  Over time valves looses and in some cases pipes deteriorate allowing for steam to escape forcing system to be refilled.

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Closter, NJ · Member since 2015 · 884 posts · 722 votes
    7y

    @Jonathan Preciado. Stream heat is the worst. DO NOT entrust a tenant with the responsibility of refilling the boiler. If they accidentally overfill it, you will have a major flood in your house. Look into having your plumber install an Automatic Feeder on it. Better yet, rip out the steam heat and replace it with hot air. Much less headaches.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.