• Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
"Unfit for habitation" eviction?

Sheree H.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted May 25 2017, 09:32

I recently purchased a duplex in Atlanta, GA in Fulton County. One side is occupied and I'm currently rehabbing the other side. We are repairing rotting, moldy floor joists, a condition that extends through the floors of the other unit, due to years of leaks and neglected maintenance by the previous owner.

I have explained to my tenant that the unit is not suitable for habitation because of the mold and rot, and that these issues cannot be repaired on her side while it's occupied. She has agreed to find another home but it has been two weeks and it doesn't seem to be a priority for her. I would like to light a fire under her to get her moving. What is the best way to remove her so I can rehab her unit? Is there a clause for immediate eviction due to "unfit for habitation" reasons? What is your experience in dealing with this situation? Everything I've found online have been for tenants to address their landlords; I haven't found anything for landlords to give their tenants.

The lease doesn't not have an early release/termination clause for either landlord or tenant.

Thank you!

Loading replies...