Votes
CJ B.
  • So. Cal.
Votes |
Don't Count Your Chickens Before They're Hatched

CJ B.
  • So. Cal.
Posted Aug 27 2017, 16:02
Wanted to share a little something that happened today. I have an out of state rental. I am one of the ones fighting "tooth and nail" to manage from a distance. No property manager. (Although I might surrender) So far, it has been a smooth ride......Except today. I'll get to that. Earlier this month, the tenants moved out. I got my crew in to rehab the unit, and all was going smooth, save for a couple little snags with the flooring which got worked out. So..ready to show. Been advertising the unit all month, and it's in a desirable location, so usually rents quick. Had some showings lined up, before coming to town. I only had the weekend to show and the first of the month is around the corner, so I was pretty eager to rent. The first showing was a woman, who said it would be for her and her fiancé. ( only met the soon-to-be wife, didn't meet the husband). Wife loved it. She said they will "definitely take it". We did the background check- sent a link to both the husband and wife, did credit-- all of it, (which cost THEM $70). They checked out with flying colors--Perfect fit. SO... I decided I would be a little relaxed on showing to the rest of the interested parties, but I went through and got some more applications anyway. Nobody else qualified, and these people wanted the unit, so I wasn't too concerned. We scheduled lease signing/deposit for this morning for 10am. I wrapped up some last minute painting yesterday, Spent two hours writing up their lease and at 9:30 am, while I was waiting for them AT THE PROPERTY, I received a TEXT from the soon-to-be husband, saying "sorry for the short notice, we are no longer interested, thanks". Well that's all folks! Flight leaves back to Cali tonight, and I have no other applicants or showings lined up, and an empty unit. Never count your Chickens before they're hatched, and never consider your place "rented" until that deposit has cleared the bank, and the lease signed in red ink.

Loading replies...