Votes
Tim Marquess
  • Bend, Oregon (OR)
Votes |
Tenant Airbnbing my property

Tim Marquess
  • Bend, Oregon (OR)
Posted Sep 4 2017, 23:51

I have just become aware that my tenant of over 7 years has been Airbnbing my studio apt. She has been renting it for a super low friend rate from me. I recently became aware that she has the place up for rent on Airbnb. She has 7 reviews that all say the place was great. She never asked if it was ok and/or offered to give me the owner part of proceeds. In the rental agreement it specifically states that is not allowed. I'm trying to find out from Airbnb how much she has rented it and made from my property. I'm quite sure she will not tell me the truth when I confront her. It seems weird that someone could make money and rent out a property that is not theirs to rent. Is this a practice that is sanctioned by Airbnb? Do they even ask if the property is theirs to rent? What about liability, is that on the home owner if someone gets injured or the host? This is a friend of over 12 years. I'm so pissed at her but want to have all the facts before talking to her. Can I shut down the listing since it is my home not hers? I have found out that 35% of Airbnb listings are not the owners of the properties. Of coarse Airbnb would not have much motivation to regulate and effect a third of their business. I feel like maybe a class action suit could help them see the error of their ways. 

Loading replies...