How often do you update paint and carpet?

How often do you update paint and carpet?

Investor · Wexford, PA · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 13 votes
I recently inherited a tenant who has been in the unit for about 6 years. She has asked for new carpet and paint. To my knowledge it has not been updated since she moved in. For your long term tenants, how often would you replace items like paint and carpet? Would you also ask for a rent increase in this situation, particularly if the unit is under market as this one is? Thanks in advance for suggestions.
0Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
8y

After 6 years some paint (not the whole house) is probably warranted; hallways and entrance ways get chipped up and rough looking. And if it wasn't new when she came in, it might be really rough at this point.

The unit being under market should be a separate issue. That should be increased whether painting is done or not. If it were me I would probably issue notice for the beginning of the next lease of the rent increase, and if the tenant decided to move (likely), use the empty apartment as an opportunity to paint/redo the floors (I wouldn't put carpet back in). 

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    After 6 years some paint (not the whole house) is probably warranted; hallways and entrance ways get chipped up and rough looking. And if it wasn't new when she came in, it might be really rough at this point.

    The unit being under market should be a separate issue. That should be increased whether painting is done or not. If it were me I would probably issue notice for the beginning of the next lease of the rent increase, and if the tenant decided to move (likely), use the empty apartment as an opportunity to paint/redo the floors (I wouldn't put carpet back in). 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Paint depends on how it bad it’s marked up or chipped,, If it’s normal wear and tear than a few over Coates Of paint should be suitable. Sometimes simply attending to the baseboards may work. After 6 years carpet may need to be replaced or cleaned. I Personally believe that owner should be responsible for it since this resident has been residing there for years and it kind of shows residential loyalty so as a small token of my appreciation I would help them out with the carpet or a small paint job. 

    Hope my response helps.

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    8y
    Painting and carpeting an occupied property is 1) more expensive and pita 2) possibly liable for damages to their stuff. I would say my policy is to update vacant units and the tenant is free to move into an updated unit when one becomes available.
  • Paducah, KY · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 45 votes
    8y
    I’ve done this in the past for good tenants- even ones who were paying less than market value. I want to take care of those that take care of me. If you do this, you most likely increase how long they stay with you, and avoid a vacancy where you would have to do this stuff anyways. Then if your vacancy leaves you open a month and you lose a months rent... it’s cost you even more. I’m more comfortable with someone that’s rented from me for six years than I am a stranger for sure. Depending on how under valued you are- you could raise rent slightly, but don’t do it to the point you lose a great tenant.. assuming they are one.
  • Investor · Wexford, PA · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 13 votes
    8y
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I left out that the tenant is also currently on a month to month lease so any new paint/flooring would come with the condition of signing a longer term lease. The problem of doing new paint and flooring while the apartment is occupied is a concern too. This tenant has been quick to complain about small items already so would be a bit concerned about having contractors in her place and potentially damaging her stuff.
  • Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2017 · 171 posts · 165 votes
    8y

    I would start with the under market discussion first - if she's not gonna stick around after a rent increase would be easier to do the improvements as part of the turnaround process. 

    I'd consider replacing the carpet with something that holds up better in a rental.  Paint - sure, fresh coat of paint is never a bad idea.  But again I'd see if she's staying after the rent increase first to decide whether you wait and do this when it's vacant. 

    If it works out and she stays, I'd keep her on month to month at a higher rent rather than extending to a longer term lease.  

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    If the unit is very much under market, then raise the rent first.   Then paint and carpet.    

    Do not let tenants paint.  Ever.   

    Now, I like the fact that she has been in the unit for six years.  Her requests would indicate that she may commit to staying for a longer time.  I'd give her the paint and carpet based on this alone.  

    One last thing - carpet has been a failure for me for rentals.   I prefer pergo, a laminate type of flooring.

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    I live in california, i have lived in this same apartment for eighteen years, the rugs have never been cleaned,it was touch up with the paint..I  cannot do anything as the paint is the old paint and has since then been changed..I was reading about how we can be charged for this when we move..is this so ???

    Just why is it after all this time you still have to clean this yourself. the carpet pad is rotted and there are lumps in the living room rug, rot has caused seams to come apart( was fixed with a left over piece from another apartment, does not match)

    have doubts about some incidents here which i cannot e=mention at this time)

    curious to see if there will be any replys....here in CALIF IT'S BEST TO KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT......JUST HAD TO SIGN A NEW RENTAL AGREEMENT EVEN THOUGH I DON'T LIKE SOME OF THE TERMS......WHAT I REALLY THINK IS NO ONE CARES....

  • Sterman, MI · Member since 2017 · 378 posts · 306 votes
    5y

    If they are mentioning other things be cautious . They might want the entire place updated "her/his way". As others have said, raise the rent first. Then see what they say.

  • Tracy StreichPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tulsa- OKC Oklahoma · Member since 2017 · 868 posts · 801 votes
    5y

    Paint and carpet can be tough on an occupied unit.  Are you moving all their stuff out?  We typically wait unit they are all out. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.