Tenants requesting for a security door.

9 Replies

Hi BP members
I wanted your insight regarding my tenants request to install security doors in one of my SF rental. There was a recent increase in house break ins in the area and she asked me to install a security door on the property. However all of the doors are less than 3 yrs old and has dead bolt locks in it. If I ended up installing the security door can I charge her for the installation? Or should I just use is as a capital expense? What do you guys think? Thanks

I don't believe you can charge the tenant for this. If you feel it is a legit concerns I would consult with local police or other security expert to see what where the property is most vulnerable the best use of of your money is to address it.

I just had them installed in my duplex. Thevast majority of rentals and private homes in my city have them. I didn't wait for them to ask, I had them installed. I don't want to get that "i just had a break in" phone call. $89dollars at home depot plus1hr for a handyman is way cheaper than turnover costs if they decide to leave because they feel unsafe.

I agree with you @Audrey Ezeh as I just had some installed in my units without being asked. I'd rather have the extra security on the property, however I don't feel the $89 at home depot are very good, so I'd recommend a stronger door as my units previous had the $89 doors and they look pretty unsafe as people can cut through them pretty easily.

-Bruce

Originally posted by @Bruce Ellerd :

I agree with you @Audrey Ezeh as I just had some installed in my units without being asked. I'd rather have the extra security on the property, however I don't feel the $89 at home depot are very good, so I'd recommend a stronger door as my units previous had the $89 doors and they look pretty unsafe as people can cut through them pretty easily.

-Bruce

Dang! I know ABQ is rough man :) For more expensive units, i totally agree, don't cheap out. Those will do for my 2 small studios. The tenants have nothing so valuable someone would take the time and risk to cut through the doors without being seen! 

also, on a side note. your lease should recommend they buy renter's insurance.

Are you also intending to  install bars on the windows when they ask. What about a security alarm system.

I would tell them OK but if they really want them they will foot the bill.

One of my friends puts them on all her rentals, says her tenants love them....the $89 Home Depot doors. Her rentals are in kind of rougher areas and she rents to a lot if single women...section 8. I think they like to be able to open the door (or keep the door open) knowing no one can get in. I would buy them if my rentals were not in pretty safe areas.

I would if there is ANY concern that their fears are reasonable. Cheaper and easier than dealing with a post break in drama or vacancy. I t doesn't guarantee that they wont be broken into, but it makes it more likely the thief will choose an easier target

And buying and installing them doesn't cost much more than dealing with a broken door and door jamb from someone kicking the door in

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.