Previous Eviction Court filing .. Every single applicant

21 Replies

Hi 

Every single qualified tenant ( income and misc) has a previous  court filing for an eviction( when I look up their name in the court system). I have been looking for months for a tenant. The rent is lower than market & the place is nice. I get 100s of leads and interest. 

What should I do??????

It kinda sounds like you may have a property in a sub B- neighborhood which means you are attracting the clientele that kind of property gathers. Of course, admittedly, I don't know any details but if that is a common/reoccurring theme in EVERY applicant I have to wonder why that might be. 

An interesting tactic here might be to raise the rents to market or slightly above market and see if that changes the applicants you are getting, if people see lower than market rents that is appealing to a certain type, if they see market or slightly above market the kind of person that appeals to is different. 

I would never, and I mean NEVER, listen to a story someone tries to sell you on why they got evicted before. I would never believe it because tenants always lie, once they are in you have a problem waiting to blow up in your face. I know it is hard to sit on a property that isn't cash flowing and to just try to cram a tenant in even if they aren't qualified. DON'T!

Another idea off the top of my head is to look into AirBnB, I don't know if that is an option in your area or what the laws look like where you are but it could help you start to cashflow something without the issue of long term tenants. 

I hope this helps you somewhat, without more detail it is hard to tell you exactly what the issue might be but I wish you the best!

I just had a set out yesterday morning (eviction)
This lady was qualified for income, was very nice and presentable. Had 2 jobs and income from the death of her husband.
She also had an eviction in 2011. We discussed it, and it seemed it was from her being on a lease with her ex boyfriend.
She moved in March 1st, lasted 6 months and could no longer pay.
Just my recent story, take it for what it’s worth.

It seems like a B area. I have applicants fill out a form. All select never evicted, but their names do show a court filling for eviction. I think many are selecting never evicted, because they never were formally evicted, but there was a filing for an eviction. is that more acceptable?

I just lowered the  $30( recently) so the listing will meet more potential tenants search criterea. What do you think about doubling the security deposit? ( Athough this might be hard, because most just meet the 3x income rule) 

@Scott P. How are you advertising the property? Where and how you advertise could be the issue,....

I know it seems counterintuitive to raise the rents to get more tenants but a lot of time psychology is at play here. If I am a renter with a previous filing against me, there is no way I don't know about it, so if I go to the next place I am going to look cheap so that doesn't happen again. 

If you raise the rents the tenants are prescreening themselves by not looking in your rent range. It is also a problem if they want to be long term tenant and they (according to you) just meet the the standard then how will you raise rents with the market if you need to?

If you absolutely are dead set on trying to get one of these people in I would want to see another rental in-between the filing and you and get good contact with their previous landlord. If they say the person was a model tenant than you are better off (though I still would recommend against it)  

Originally posted by @Joseph ODonovan :
@Scott P. How are you advertising the property? Where and how you advertise could be the issue,....

Zillow hotpads

Originally posted by @Justen Ashcraft :

I just had a set out yesterday morning (eviction)
This lady was qualified for income, was very nice and presentable. Had 2 jobs and income from the death of her husband.
She also had an eviction in 2011. We discussed it, and it seemed it was from her being on a lease with her ex boyfriend.
She moved in March 1st, lasted 6 months and could no longer pay.
Just my recent story, take it for what it’s worth.

Uggh.. Thanks for the info

Originally posted by @Zachery Buffin :

I know it seems counterintuitive to raise the rents to get more tenants but a lot of time psychology is at play here. If I am a renter with a previous filing against me, there is no way I don't know about it, so if I go to the next place I am going to look cheap so that doesn't happen again. 

If you raise the rents the tenants are prescreening themselves by not looking in your rent range. It is also a problem if they want to be long term tenant and they (according to you) just meet the the standard then how will you raise rents with the market if you need to?

If you absolutely are dead set on trying to get one of these people in I would want to see another rental in-between the filing and you and get good contact with their previous landlord. If they say the person was a model tenant than you are better off (though I still would recommend against it)  

Ok.. thanks.. I am just beginning to think that there are so many evictions in this area that every landlord in this area must deal with a tenant that has a court filling for one. 

Originally posted by @Scott P. :
Originally posted by @Zachery Buffin:

Ok.. thanks.. I am just beginning to think that there are so many evictions in this area that every landlord in this area must deal with a tenant that has a court filling for one. 

That may be the case, I don't know your market well so I would take that with the grain of salt I intend it to have. I would still like to see that the tenant has "cut their teeth" on getting their affairs in order on someone else's trust but if that just isn't possible you are the one who ultimately knows your situation the best. 

I am sorry if my advice isn't what you want to hear, trust me I don't want any of my fellow investors to fail or struggle, it is just the weight of a lot of people's experiences that let me know that trust can be risky with tenants. I would love to hear about how the situation works out if you don't mind keeping us updated!

@Scott P. - Try advertising in your local facebook groups. In my area, there are several "rental' groups of people who join these groups that are looking for rentals. I just recently started doing this, and have had great results so far. 

I personally would never rent to someone who has been evicted, regardless of where my property is. You can have a property in a B- neighborhood and get someone in there who pays rent on time! Stick to your guns. It will save you headaches in the long run.

Do you all think that an eviction filling  is equally bad as an completed eviction? ?

I m suspecting property management companies file the eviction notice right after the 3 day notice, but the tenant pays up and stay in the rental. 

It isn't the same thing, you're right, but it still shows that they have paid late and it got to the point where someone filed on them. It isn't something you would do on a first offense if you catch my meaning. 

This shows that at some point it was a chronic enough problem from that person that the previous landlord filed to leverage the courts against them to get them to do what they should have already done from the get go which is pay their rent. 

An option for you if you really do believe that every other landlord does file on every tenant after three days late, give them a call and explain that you are a landlord who would like to rent to a former tenant of theirs and ask if they would share with you if they were a trouble tenant or not. You can and should check their story from them.

When you use a program like Transunion smart move do you know if it picks up evcition filling or an actual eviction that has been completed? 

@Scott P.

If I had to choose any one of those applicants and ONLY those applicants, I would ask for at least a few months Bank Statements proving that they are not currently undergoing an eviction or has been paid up.

I would actually ask for 6 months Bank Statements.

Weed out the ones that have been paying late or not at all.

You may have to weed out all of them.

This at least gives you a bit more of evidence to help you make a decision if you had to take one of the applicants.

Originally posted by @Scott P. :

When you use a program like Transunion smart move do you know if it picks up evcition filling or an actual eviction that has been completed? 

Transunion smart move won't necessarily catch civil court cases or even completed eviction judgments unless it specifically states that they check for eviction history or have a separate service dedicated to checking that. I would only utilize that service for tracking criminal history checks and credit checks to vet those aspects of the tenant. I would always continue to follow up like you have been by checking local court website to verify eviction history and filings of each applicant. That's the only way you can confirm that you are getting all of the court filing history on the tenant.

Is there a certain amount of time that passes, in which you are ok with a previous eviction?

Like I said before, it would be long enough that they have rented from someone else in that time. If they made one mistake but then got into another apartment/tenant agreement where they paid on time and in full I would say that was a one time life even and they are potentially good renters. 

Double security, first and last's months rent: combination of the two. 

This post has been removed.

Hi @Scott P.  and @Jeff Bridges ,

I’m a representative with TransUnion SmartMove. A SmartMove eviction report will return eviction filings as well as completed evictions. If you have any other questions about our eviction reports feel free to email me or send me a note on BP. Thanks! 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.