Recommendations for a < $1,000 shed

9 Replies

Hi Everyone, 

I have a 3br/1ba/0 garage SFH Rental that is in desperate need of some outdoor type storage space. Things like bicycles / suitcases / camping gear / paint cans / etc need a home. There's currently a small 2ft deep by 6ft wide storage closet in the back of the carport, but we'd like to have much more space for the tenants.

Do you have any recommendations for a quick to assemble, long lasting, low maintenance shed thats roughly 80sq ft or above for a budget under $1,000? I know we could build one, but I'm hoping for something quick and easy.  Any experience with HD or Lowes sheds? should I go plastic or metal? This is in the Seattle area, so rain is a factor. I understand we'll have to build a base for whatever we buy.

Actually, thinking more rather that 80sqft or above I'm probably looking for around 50-80sqft

Beautiful looking property there. I have no recommendations, just posting to refresh the topic for you.

Lowes/Home Depot has all sorts of sheds available. 

I recently helped a friend put together an 8 by 10 Arrow shed; second one I've done (first one was on one of our rental properties).  It was a 2 day job, mainly because the darn thing comes with (I'm not kidding) 360 plus screws and bolts and you end up using just about every one of them so it takes a bit of time (longer if you want to go the floor route).   Not a difficult project but helpful to have two people doing this.   The only tools needed were a "screwgun" (his words; my cordless drill) and a pair of pliers to held the bolts at times.  A screwdriver can be substituted for the drill.

The shed has a 12 year warranty.  Cost was under $300 because my friend was on a budget.  Lowes/Home Depot has more expensive ones too.  Every one of the Lowes in my area has put up at least one of each in their parking area so you walk through and get an idea of the size and construction of each of the sheds they sell.

First one we put up on a rental (at the end of a driveway) was because the tenant had a motorcycle he wanted stored.  The shed was big enough to store that plus garden tools and a mower.

Your yard would be great for any shed that needs to be put together.  It's nice and level.

Good luck!

Gail

P.S. This shed comes with a floor "joists" to put together if you want to go this route.  I've been told these are kinda crummy.  We didn't use these on our rental since the shed was placed on a concrete driveway and my friend wanted to put his floor in later.

I had bad luck with a plastic Rubbermaid shed in Tacoma.  Fell apart after a year, not worth the money.  Did not withstand windstorms.

Just build a garage, you know you want to. More storage the better!!

I just bought and installed this shed earlier this year. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Heartland-Common-8-ft-x-8...

It is fantastic and has plenty of space! I even built in a large shelf/workstation in the back across the entire back side myself. Put in some pegboard and a few rake racks, etc. I can fit my mower, ladders, snowblower and so much more in there and still have space for a ton more!

Originally posted by @Robert P. :

I just bought and installed this shed earlier this year. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Heartland-Common-8-ft-x-8...

It is fantastic and has plenty of space! I even built in a large shelf/workstation in the back across the entire back side myself. Put in some pegboard and a few rake racks, etc. I can fit my mower, ladders, snowblower and so much more in there and still have space for a ton more!

Looks nice. What was the installation process like?

@Christian Wathne It was pretty smooth on my end. I purchased the shed in store and the shed was delivered and installed in less than a week. I did not have to be there for the install, as long as they had access to power (I ran an extension cord out to the backyard). Installation took about 4 hours. I then caulked and painted a few weeks later on a warmer day. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.