Property Management Software

11 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some guidance from people who have experience with rental management software. Today I am only managing my own property 15 units but will continue to grow that number. It seems like there are a lot of choices out there so I am looking for anything that can help me navigate making a decision. 

Thanks, 

Alex Stariha

@Alex Stariha Cozy is a cheap option to start with it, but I don't see it being able to scale and provide all the functionality as a true property management software. I still use Cozy for two units I manage myself. I was a big user of Buildium and used them for almost four years. The only reason I stopped using them was I sold most of my portfolio and turned what was left of my NC properties to a property manager. Oddly enough the property manager used Buildium as well. Buildium has has tons of great features, I found it very easy to use. They have lots of built in reports. If you think you will scale past 15 units, I would recommend going with Buildium. It might be a little expensive at 15 units, but will easily scale. 

We used PropertyZar.com (full disclosure - I am associated with them)

@Alex Stariha I'll second exactly what @Andrew Kerr said. If you are proficient with Quickbooks or another bookkeeping software then Cozy can be a nice way to go for an Owner managed setup. Buildium is a nice middle ground and can bring a lot of organization if you don't have a robust bookkeeping system. Make sure that you spend time upfront learning how to use it correctly. At some point in growth you'll want to start thinking about Appfolio.

I agree with going with Buildium.  I am currently in my third month with them and have no complaints thus far.  They have great tutorials that you definitely want to take advantage of.  Customer service has also been very good in my experience although hold times average around 5-10 minutes depending upon the time of day you call.  Software is very user friendly, reports are easy to understand, owner and tenant portals are also user-friendly.  The accounting function is very good too, especially for someone like myself who is not exactly a numbers person LOL.  I'm not sure if there is another system out there that offers as much for the price.  Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions and best of luck to you.

Originally posted by @Laticia Braxton :

I agree with going with Buildium.  I am currently in my third month with them and have no complaints thus far.  They have great tutorials that you definitely want to take advantage of.  Customer service has also been very good in my experience although hold times average around 5-10 minutes depending upon the time of day you call.  Software is very user friendly, reports are easy to understand, owner and tenant portals are also user-friendly.  The accounting function is very good too, especially for someone like myself who is not exactly a numbers person LOL.  I'm not sure if there is another system out there that offers as much for the price.  Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions and best of luck to you.

How are the additional fees they charge? The $99 bank account setup fee.  I am trying to decide as well which software to use. 

@Neal Collins @Laticia Braxton @Andrew Kerr Thanks a lot to all three of you. I have been looking at Buildium pretty closely but the monthly fee does scare me a little bit! In all honesty though i think it may be my best option being as i plan to scale and get close to 30-40 properties by the end of 2018. I looked at Appfolio as well but the minimum is 50 units so not there yet.  

@Ryan Delauz Good point on the extra fees... Has anyone gotten nickel and dimed to death with fees? I feel my largest use will be online rent collection as well as tenant screening. What are your thoughts?

@Keith Weigand

Keith can you in a down and dirty way maybe give me a comparison of propertyzar vs Buildium Vs simplifyem(If you know simplifyem)?

@Alex Stariha Sure. If you want to email me, I can send you a document with the bullet points. Better than typing it out here. 

I haven't incurred any extra fees other than the one-time $99 fee for Epay.  They do have other options that you can add-on, such as electronic inspection reports, mailing services and e-lease (this one is included if you're a Pro member which I am not) but I haven't found the need for any of those services yet.  I will most likely purchase the 1099 e-Filing add-on but that's only $25 per batch.  

@Alex Stariha when I used Buildium, I never felt there were extra fees tacked on without knowing or that I was nickel and dimed. What they did provide was extra services that integrated with Buildium like the 1099 service. I didn't add all the extras, but I added the ones that I thought were useful and would save me time. 

I switched from Quickbooks to Appfolio.  I'm very happy with the switch so far.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.