Good tenant with bad partner

8 Replies

I have a good, qualified tenant who has her husband wanting to move in. Her husband however has a criminal past and does not pass our screening process. She has recently moved in about 3 month ago.

How would you address? My initial thoughts are to tell her he does not qualify and is not allowed to move in. But how can I really enforce in the long run? She can simply say ok and have him there quietly.

Any thoughts here?

1 year lease.

Thanks.

Rafael

@Rafael Norat - this always can be a problem. You have one great tenant and they get a partner/significant other that causes problems. 

I also put a guest policy in my leases that says someone can't stay for more than 5 days, so if they let someone move in without qualifying they would be in violation of the lease. But the fact that they are married seems like a very sticky situation. 

I am more curious why the husband is trying to move in now after three months? Is he in the military and was deployed? Did he just get out of jail? Were they separated and now trying to make it work?

If you think he will be a problem, perhaps you can require an increased security deposit (check with local laws to see what is allowed). Or you simply say he doesn't qualify and can't move in. Then you offer the tenant to break the lease at no charge.

deal w the problem after it happens.  you people worry too much.

you did your best,  cash those rent checks! if ya want add him at the end of the lease.

my take would be different if husband was OJ Simpson...............lol.   id pay theM to leave.

@Andrew Kerr

Still collecting details, but appears he was convicted and pleaded guilty for possession and intent to sell. I had this property under a management company and wound up evicting a tenant selling drugs. So not looking to repeat. Have the visitor clause as well.

My thing is how do I prove he stays there if she decides to stay? It would mainly be speculation on my part.

Originally posted by @Jody Newman :

deal w the problem after it happens.  you people worry too much.

you did your best,  cash those rent checks! if ya want add him at the end of the lease.

my take would be different if husband was OJ Simpson...............lol.   id pay theM to leave.

If it don't fit, you must evict!

@Rafael Norat it is extremely difficult to prove. As in driving by at 5am every morning to take a photo of the person's car at the home. Then getting statements from neighbors saying he does live there. It would be easier to just tell her no, and give her the option to move out.

SOUNDS Planned to me,, she knew her husband wouldn't get accepted, and rightly so.. Give her lease buy out option mutual termination and be done with it if she can't come up with that then .. you'll have to either fish or cut bait.. meaning,, fish for the lease buyout,,,,, cut baits is just say OK you have XXXX days to move,, if i see the guy here I'm writing up a lease infraction and will file for cause for unathourized tenant..

YOUR THE BOSS ,, your rules.. 

This seriously happens all the time.. with either the wife, or girlfriend,, once the guy is in, everything goes to hell in a hand basket....

@Andrew Kerr

Very true and thanks for the input. I told the tenant that her husband will not be accepted and gave her the option to move out and break the lease. Also putting up surveillance cameras and signs to avoid any further issues and deter anything else from possibly starting.

@Deanna McCormick

Much appreciated for the input Deanna and thanks for sharing the advise! Will definitely use moving forward...

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.