Tenants' Movers Deny Damaging Door

7 Replies

The tenants in a triplex I manage are moving out and hired professional movers. The tenants didn't see them move their stuff but when they left, they sent me these pictures. Looks like the movers took the back door to the building off the hinges (don't know why they didn't just remove the hinges; must have been a very tight fit) and did a crappy job putting them back on. I called the moving company and they called me back saying they spoke with the movers and they say they didn't even have to take the doors off the hinges. Either they did or somebody came by and in that window of time happened to mess with my door for some reason. The pictures look like they could have just put excess pressure on the hinges trying to squeeze something through, in which case they're telling the truth but still in the wrong. What would you do?

@Art Maydan The moving company should be insured for this kind of thing.  When I moved to my new home last February, there were some things that got dinged, including the custom built spiral staircase.

The moving company repaired the things they could and send a contractor for the rest.

I'd just ask them how they intend to make it right.  Or you could withhold some of your tenants security deposit and let them chase the moving company.

I'd take out my impact driver and screw the hinge back in solidly... If I had to, I'd get longer screws and use them.  Fixed in under a minute.  I wouldn't bother anyone about it.  

Fix it yourself, there is no real damage just a loose hinge.

Why is "who did it" or the moving company your problem?  The tenant is responsible.  Fix it and deduct it from their security deposit.

Originally posted by @Jon Holdman :

Why is "who did it" or the moving company your problem?  The tenant is responsible.  Fix it and deduct it from their security deposit.

This is it in a nutshell 

You've already spent more time talking about it than it would have taken to fix it. Let it go.

I'd fix it if I lived very close but I don't. I try to lump stuff I have to do at properties together.

Anyway, I got them to come back and replace the screws. All good now.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here