What is your favorite management software?

11 Replies

What property management software would you recommend for a small investor? We have 3 units, but would like the ability to scale to more. I like the idea of having everything all in 1 place, but don't want to break the budget with fees.

There are several out there such as Appfolio, Buildium etc. They may be a bit pricey for 3 units. 

Originally posted by @Keith Weigand :

There are several out there such as Appfolio, Buildium etc. They may be a bit pricey for 3 units. 

That's my fear. Would you stick to Excel at this point?

@Alyssa Paros check out Cozy.co - it is essentially free for small users like you. They have some premium/enhanced services for a small fee. But as an example, the two units I manage myself I use Cozy. Back when I managed everything I used Buildium which was a more robust platform and I have found Cozy suites all my needs. 

@Alyssa Paros It also depends on what you need to do. Excel may work but if you want to collect online rent, Syndicate your vacancies, background screening, provide tenant access for work orders etc., you won't be able to do that or track with excel.

Yes, I also would definitely recommend Cozy, it's great.  

And our tenants like it too...it's free for them if they link their bank account, but charges small fee (to the tenant, not landlord) for debit/credit cards.

Excel spreadsheet. There's no need to spend money and make things more complicated than they need to be. One tab per property/unit. Each one should track move-in, move-out, deposit amount, payment history, and work-order tracking. 

I don't recommend upgrading to software until you have at least 20 units.

Have you tried mobile apps (e.g. Landlordy, DIY Landlord etc.). Might be a perfect fit.

Originally posted by @Jurgis Kirsakmens :

Have you tried mobile apps (e.g. Landlordy, DIY Landlord etc.). Might be a perfect fit.

We haven’t tried anything yet. We’re closing in December, so I’m trying to get everything lined up before then.

I use Lanlordy, however it's only free for one property.  You have to pay to manage more. 

Hi Alyssa,

I am curious to know what features you are looking for in a property management software. There is software out there that are completely free to landlords. 

Please reach out with any questions or ideas of what features you are looking for, and I can give you my suggestions. 

Good luck! 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.