• Investor
  • Stevens Point, WI
Votes |
Collecting from Ex-Tenants?

Johnny Hastings
  • Investor
  • Stevens Point, WI
Posted Dec 14 2017, 07:39

As a preface, I have a bunch of C class apartments. Occasionally someone leaves without paying their last month's rent, I evict someone, or some other situation arises where a tenant has moved out while still owing me money. I typically just let it go. If I evicted them, I do go through a damages hearing and docket the judgement right away. Even then, I've never recovered any meaningful amount of money in these situations.

I recently got a call from a guy that runs Credit Management Control. They collect from people in these situations. 

I just had a situation arise today where a tenant is moving out, and hasn't paid December's rent. Also, she's on a month to month lease with a 60 day move out notice. That means that if I don't find a renter, she's on the hook for January and February. She claims she's moving out of state. 

I'm going to go file for eviction, mostly out of spite really, lol, as it's one of the only things I can do to her. I'm also going to try the collection people I linked above. 

So my question is, has anyone used this type of (or this exact) service before? Is it at all effective? I know in some cases it wouldn't be, because it'd be like the old 'trying to squeeze water from a stone' situation; where the tenant doesn't have any money, so it's a waste of time. This time though, I think she's good for it. 

Once all this plays out, I'll update this post with the results. In the mean time, any info anyone has on this type of service is appreciated.

Loading replies...