Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Andrea Tapp
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Central, CO
Votes |
Previous owner entering the home, legal?

Andrea Tapp
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Central, CO
Posted Dec 18 2017, 06:14

Hello,

We have a vacant home in Tulsa, Oklahoma that we took over ownership in August 2017.  The tenant that was occupying the home when we took over ownership moved out in September 2017.  We have been advertising the home for rent and have had a steady showing but just now have found the right tenants.  They will be moving in on Wednesday.  

The home was purchased owner finance.  The deed is in our Land Trust name. We have been making mortgage payments and insurance payments on the home and maintaining it in the vacancy.  The previous owner is requesting that we get utilities back on.  He has ENTERED THE HOME and put antifreeze in the toilet to prevent freezing.  Is he legally allowed to enter the home?  We are the new owners on title.  He is in the position of the bank and he has his money.  We are getting the home re-keyed on Wednesday so that only the tenants and us will have a key.

He wrote me this morning asking me to get the utilities turned on and to winterize the lines.  We have a tenant occupying the house on Wednesday. In my opinion he doesn't need to be concerned with any of these detail and he shouldnt be allowed to enter the home as he is not the owner any longer. But before I write him back I wanted to make sure I am correct in asking him not to enter the home and make these requests from us and to leave us and the tenants alone unless it is a financial matter.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Loading replies...