Receipt tracking for maintenance guys

4 Replies

Hello all,

Do any of you have any good technology solutions for receipt tracking? I have 6 guys out rehabbing, doing rental maintenance, etc. Receipts are a bit burdonsome. Most apps I find are for expense reporting, which is similar but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Ideally, I'd pre-populate a list of categories to choose from including property addresses, maybe a couple general ones like "Tools" and "Fuel" and then the guys in the field take a pic of the receipt and quickly categorize it. Then at the end of the month my accounting staff can reference these when categorizing. 

Sounds so simple, yet I can't find it?

If you’re using Quickbooks Online, you can use their mobile app for this. 

But I’d recommend Receipt Bank for this. You’ll have to assign the categories but at least you’ll be looking at the receipt when you do so your people can write notes on them first before uploading them via the Receipt Bank mobile app (super easy to use). 

Originally posted by @Cathie Kovacs :

But I’d recommend Receipt Bank for this. You’ll have to assign the categories but at least you’ll be looking at the receipt when you do so your people can write notes on them first before uploading them via the Receipt Bank mobile app (super easy to use). 

Thank you, I think the Quickbooks app might be a bit overkill for my maintenance guys, and I don't know that I would be able to limit them to what they can see. But Receipt Bank looks promising, I'll test that one out now, thanks!

Originally posted by @Chase Gochnauer :
Originally posted by @Cathie Kovacs:

Thank you, I think the Quickbooks app might be a bit overkill for my maintenance guys, and I don't know that I would be able to limit them to what they can see. But Receipt Bank looks promising, I'll test that one out now, thanks!

Yes you can limit what they see in QBO but not what accounts they can choose from. Major limitation because who knows what they’d code things to. Could make a mess of your accounts so I don’t recommend it. 

Receipt Bank is idiot proof. If they can take a picture with their phone, they can use Receipt Bank. You can set up rules by supplier and it’ll attach the receipt to the transaction in QBO (which is great in case of audit or if you have questions later). 

The only caveat you should be aware of is that Receipt Bank will push the receipt to QBO and hopefully find a match in Bank Feeds. If you have already dealt with the expense in the Bank Feed, Receipt Bank’s version will become a duplicate. Best to wait for the receipt before adding items to the register from Bank Feeds. 

I run my entire business on Quickbooks.
Best program out there.
Also able to run P&L, keep track of mortgages, other business expenses, keep track of 1099 labor, etc. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.