TENANTS FROM HELL #3 Move outs from hell. PICS INCLUDED

37 Replies

TENANTS FROM HELL #3

Move outs from hell.

Running one of the largest rental portfolios in the Cleveland, Ohio area I have managed 1,000's of properties & dealt with countless tenants. In short, I have seen it all. From death threats to tenants being murdered to overdose to theft, property damage, fire, destruction, damage & everything else in between.

The purpose of this blog is to peel back the curtain on the Property Management Business and show you some of the real life things that have happened to me or members of my company 1st hand. It's not always sunshine & rainbows. If you have the stomach for it, it's a very rewarding business but sometimes it can be scary, disturbing, challenging & sometimes down right disgusting.

ENJOY!

____

The situation:

When your tenants ask about getting their security deposit back I imagine you, like most of us landlords tell the the rental property needs to be left in "broom clean" condition. If you think that "broom clean" condition has a similar meaning to everyone THINK AGAIN! Ya see, a TENANT FROM HELL's idea of "broom clean" is VERY different than yours! Here is a nice compilation of some rental properties that were to be left in "broom clean" condition. 😷😷😷🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮 #TenantsFromHell

Do you need more Tenant From Hell stories in your life?

Stop by & drop a comment on my other tenant from hell threads.

TENANTS FROM HELL #2 Tubs & Showers from hell. PICS INCLUDED!

TENANTS FROM HELL #1 Deplorable living conditions. PICS INCLUDED!

Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden :

James Wise

Honestly those pics aren't too bad. Lots of trash, but no huge property damage.

 Yea I agree. In the grand scheme of things this is no biggie at all. It is rather interesting to see the mindset of some people though. Most investors who have never been in the business would never imagine moving out of somewhere & leaving it like that. The fact that others would come into your former residence & see a mess like that would make most completely mortified. So it's pretty important that we prepare new investors to the harsh reality that many people do live this way & see no issue with it at all. In fact many of them will fight you tooth & nail when they realize they didn't get back some or all of their security deposit.

Just looks like a trash out to me. I wish my tenants from hell left my property this nice! I’ve had plumbing ripped out, electrical wiring ripped out, hammer holes in sheetrock throughout house, busted toilets, etc.

I always wonder why they leave so much behind. I honestly think they leave naked sometimes! I have actually had folks leave cremated remains of loved ones behind! (we do not pitch those, we usually have one of the contractors put it at their home on the shelf, LOL)

Evictions this time of year are great because you get half of their kids unopened Christmas toys!

I have a an ex Amish guy that has dump trailers to do my clean outs and he LOVES those type that has valuable things left behind. He has an ongoing barn sale and makes a fortune!

1 dumpster and 1 day with 2 guys .  

Originally posted by @Rod Hanks :

Just looks like a trash out to me. I wish my tenants from hell left my property this nice! I’ve had plumbing ripped out, electrical wiring ripped out, hammer holes in sheetrock throughout house, busted toilets, etc.

 Lol I feel ya Rod. You have any photos of that stuff? Post it here!

You need to visit Memphis. I'd be happy if this was as bad as it gets.

Yea those aren’t that bad.. I mean, I’m not saying I would want to encounter this every time a tenant moved out, but be thankful that no huge property damaged was done! It just amazes me how much stuff people can leave behind!!

When we finally got our tenants to move out last year.. I actually offered to move his stuff onto my trailer and unload it at his new apartment.. that was the only way we could get him out! But I made it seem like we were being nice to him when in reality we just wanted him OUT! 

It looks like they tried making this 2BR into a larger 1BR....

Note the baseboard cover stabbed into the wall:

Were they making soup or was the sink clogged?

At least they obeyed the "No pet" policy. It was probably an emotional support rabbit:

Originally posted by @Rob Gillespie :

I always wonder why they leave so much behind. I honestly think they leave naked sometimes! I have actually had folks leave cremated remains of loved ones behind! (we do not pitch those, we usually have one of the contractors put it at their home on the shelf, LOL)

Evictions this time of year are great because you get half of their kids unopened Christmas toys!

I have a an ex Amish guy that has dump trailers to do my clean outs and he LOVES those type that has valuable things left behind. He has an ongoing barn sale and makes a fortune!

 We've ran into the cremated remains a couple times before as well. We just toss it in the dumpster along with everything else. Not a souvanere I'd want.

I have noticed that the lower end you go the more they leave behind. My lowest rent units, often they leave almost everything, beds/sofas/closets full of clothes. You would think people in lower income brackets would need their stuff.....

its why when running a proforma on any C class or lower B class if you think your not going to spend money EACH And every turn over. your fooling your self.. 

it also takes time so your for sure going to lose a month of rent or more each time.. just saying need to be realistic when your running your numbers

My tenants seem like angels after this! Thanks for sharing to give the rest of us some perspective. 

I was in pest control for 18 years. Many, many people live like that. The absolute worst are the hoarders. I have actually charged owners to remove junk just so I could do a proper treatment.

Please tell me none of these clowns expected their security deposits back! 

Found the best thread on bp

I think I posted this one before but here's the work of an evicted tenant who came back a couple days later and torched the garage on the property. It did $75-100k in damage to it and buildings on either side. Angry little fella....

Originally posted by @Ryan Murdock :

It looks like they tried making this 2BR into a larger 1BR....

Note the baseboard cover stabbed into the wall:

Were they making soup or was the sink clogged?

At least they obeyed the "No pet" policy. It was probably an emotional support rabbit:

 Well done. This is one of the better ones I've seen. Congratulations. 👊💥

Originally posted by @Ryan Murdock :

I think I posted this one before but here's the work of an evicted tenant who came back a couple days later and torched the garage on the property. It did $75-100k in damage to it and buildings on either side. Angry little fella....

 Encore! Keep it up. 💪💥

@James Wise  I run a PM company so I have seen a few interesting places. When I see places like this I always wonder if they even considered how much money they spent to acquire all that stuff only to just leave it behind. 

I recently took over a triplex and was told by owner that the "tenant just left a note, her stuff and disappeared" So I figured it would be kinda like your place lots of random stuff/junk. It was so strange, she had left basically everything but it was meticulously organized and clean. The table was set with decorative place settings, clothes on the hangers, furniture neatly arranged, pristine! It was like she cleaned up, took her expensive jewelry and walked out the door.   Very weird.

Originally posted by @Christian Hansen :

@James Wise  I run a PM company so I have seen a few interesting places. When I see places like this I always wonder if they even considered how much money they spent to acquire all that stuff only to just leave it behind. 

I recently took over a triplex and was told by owner that the "tenant just left a note, her stuff and disappeared" So I figured it would be kinda like your place lots of random stuff/junk. It was so strange, she had left basically everything but it was meticulously organized and clean. The table was set with decorative place settings, clothes on the hangers, furniture neatly arranged, pristine! It was like she cleaned up, took her expensive jewelry and walked out the door.   Very weird.

 Seen that once. Couple young guys from California. Had strong suspicions they were big players in the drug trade & got themselves into some trouble. 

Got a phone call one day telling us the keys were in the house & they had moved back to California a few days prior. We go in there & EVERYTHING was there. They grabbed some clothes & their TV. Nothing else. Dishes still on table, literally escaped in the middle of the night. ✌

Originally posted by @Keith Jourdan :

I have noticed that the lower end you go the more they leave behind. My lowest rent units, often they leave almost everything, beds/sofas/closets full of clothes. You would think people in lower income brackets would need their stuff.....

 I've seen this too, I think people get stuff handed down to them or get it really cheap and are too lazy to move it.

thank you all for sharing these. I’ve been dealing with an epic case of cat p*ss in my rental, and these have lightened my evening! Ha!

Woww, These are few of the epic scenarios to find. I have just joined the forum recently and can see some real time hell experiences for the land lords and property managers as end of the day PM's are answerable to the owners. 

In my opinion a good communication between landlord/PM with the tenant is always required and time to time checks and balances to be done with the tenant to understand if they are taking care of the property properly or not. But at the end of the day, if the tenant is from "Hell" then not much can be done. ;)

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here