Rental Property - Painting Using Gray - Preferences

15 Replies

There has been a LARGE number of home/apt decorating completed using GRAY PAINT colors.   Can landlords suggest their FAVORITE colors (gray), and manufactures (i.e; Sherwin-Williams, Benj Moore, Behr, Glidden, etc).....  Of course, being COST effective is important with choice.    Thanks !  

Just like many use and recommend "Navajo White", what is the HOTT GRAY choice.....?  

I'm not a gray paint fan. I mostly use Navajo white. But I've tried it recently and everyone loves it. I actually liked it more than I thought I would. I don't think you can go wrong with Sherwin Williams color Repose Gray. Home Depot or Benjamin Moore can mix it for you as well. They have the formulas. Another very popular one is a BM color called Revere Pewter.

I recently did kilz tinted grey. 2 coats, it a flat, but has awesome coverage. Did about 3000 sqft business unit and is very cost effective. Got 2 5 gal buckets for 160$

repose gray sw 7015

Love this color. Lately my go to for rental and flips.

I was using gray for awhile but it just seemed too bland. Now we add inexpensive white chair rail and blue accent along the bottom. Makes a world of difference. 

i’m also not a huge Gray fan. I’ve been using Glidden water chestnut for years in my property and in my primary residence and I feel like it’s still neutral but a little bit warmer than gray. Probably not totally the style these days but I like it a lot better. 

Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter is my go to. I have it color matched in Behr. I love it with white trim!  I painted my dads house in it when he passed and the second showing sold it. I painted my daughters cottage in it and it sold in 11 days!! It’s a really warm greige and people love it. 

Just used Sherwin Williams "Alpaca" and loved the way it turned out.

Sherman Williams Pro Mar 200- agreeable gray (I could not get a pic to show correctly)

@Alex Huang - I just looked Alpaca up on Pinterest- WOW! That’s a really soft pretty gray! I may use that on my next project!!

My go to is a CIL colour called”touch of grey”. It’s the lightest I can find that still pops well on white trim.

I also do the chair rail trick mentioned above but simply because then I can paint the bottom 42” that generally are the only place that show wear... means I paint in less than half the time. I don’t do an accent colour below the rail, but if you do remember the rule about colours getting lighter as they go up... ie: use a darker shade below the rail.

We use Sherwin-Williams Magnetic Gray. We buy it at 14$ per gallon (but we have good bulk discount).

There’s been some research on current paint trends. Different grays seem to be current. They are more appealing to the eye then white. I like my apartments to stand out. I don’t want tenants that view the apartment and say nothing. I want tenants that say wow. Tenants that feel good to be there and make it their home. The paint cost is a given and the color doesn’t change the price. “Wowed” tenants tend to stay longer, pay more and respect it. That’s a win win.

Colour trends come and go, Navajo White will survive the passage of time.

I use popular trends on my flips but will stay with Navajo, beige etc. in rentals. Easier to touch up/match with the passage of time.

My guess is that grey will fade or darken with time resulting in having to repaint entire rooms as opposed to touch up between tenants. Cost and efficiency wise it is best to keep rentals as simple and consistent as possible. The reason so many landlords have lost income due to tenant turnover is because they complicate their business too much. Standard and simple is always more cost effective. 

Originally posted by @Jerome Foster :

There has been a LARGE number of home/apt decorating completed using GRAY PAINT colors.   Can landlords suggest their FAVORITE colors (gray), and manufactures (i.e; Sherwin-Williams, Benj Moore, Behr, Glidden, etc).....  Of course, being COST effective is important with choice.    Thanks !  

Just like many use and recommend "Navajo White", what is the HOTT GRAY choice.....?  

Agreeable Gray is Sherwin-Williams most popular paint color right now. It's what we use in all of our properties.

I've been using Sherwin Williams Dorian Gray with white trim. I've received MANY compliments from potential tenants. If the trend changes, it's easy enough to switch up paint colors when the supply runs out.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here