Policy on washer / dryer repair?

8 Replies

Starting a new lease for small house with old  w/d  in basement . 

If it breaks , I don’t want to replace it . 

Being that I’m renting the house out with a W/d , am I responsible to fix or replace ? 

How would I word it in lease that I don’t want to fix or replace ?

Thanks very much!

Simple , sell them the washer and dryer for 10 bucks each .

This is straight from the landlord forms I purchased from BP

"(B) The following furnishings are supplied with the Premises _________________________. If any furnishings break or are damaged, they are Tenant’s responsibility. Landlord shall not have any obligation to repair or replace the furnishings. Maintenance of the furnishings is Tenant’s sole responsibility, and Tenant will keep all such furnishings in good repair, ordinary wear and tear accepted. Tenant’s use of such furnishings shall be “AS-IS”, and Landlord has not made, does not make and hereby disclaims any representations or warranties (including, without limitation, any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose) as to the physical condition of the furnishings or the suitability or usefulness of the furnishings for Tenant’s intended use. The furnishings may not be removed from the Premises."

Michael Ablan, Real Estate Agent in NY (#10401289490)

I would debate this in court and win. "Furnishings" doesn't specifically say "appliances". If you want to be safe, spell it out in your lease where is says appliances included, "None", or whichever ones you want to include. Then on the addendum, state that X, Y, and Z appliances are provided for the tenants use, but are not included in the lease. Landlord will not repair any appliances not specifically included in the lease. Upon termination of the lease, all appliances remain the property of the landlord."

I always specifically state that the washer and dryer are provided as a free courtesy, and are not part of what they are renting.  That way, if it is not working, they have no excuse to not pay the full amount of the rent.  

Or, in your case, I would do what Matthew Paul says to do, above.

I always specifically state that the washer and dryer are provided as a free courtesy, and are not part of what they are renting.  That way, if one is not working, they have no excuse to not pay the full amount of the rent.  

Or, in your case, I would do what Matthew Paul says to do, above.

What great replies - exactly the help 

was looking for ! 

Thanks 🙏 

You have gotten good advice on this thread on how to handle this. Just make sure the clause is clear in your lease because when/if it breaks or needs to be repaired they will definitely ask you to fix or replace.

Michael Noto, Real Estate Agent in CT (#RES.0799665)
860-384-7570

@Marci Stein

Another easy option is to just remove the washer and dryer and letting the renters know they will have to provide one themselves. Sell it on Craigslist for 100$ each.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.