Refusal to leave after lease is over - Louisiana

10 Replies

I have a tenant that is ignoring my attempts to contact, his lease ends tomorrow, he was given 30 days notice that lease will not be renewed. I just drove by the property and it looks like no one is moving out by tomorrow. What are my options?

Eviction.

Eviction.

Once a tenant stops responding, that's your only and best option.

Sadly, eviction is the next step. Also don't accept payment. if you have auto pay or online pay - close it so they can not make a payment.  Some courts will see that as you accepted their money they stay for another month. 

Good luck

Happy Investing 2018

Stephen

Eviction but it really depends on the state laws. in NY I know tenants that don't leave after their lease is up by law can stay on the property till the sheriff comes to evict them and that can take a pretty long time of people living there rent for free. 

Thanks everyone. Was hoping there was a different avenue I could take since the lease is over. Still learning the ropes. Thanks again for the advise!

I'm curious, what is your relationship with this tenant and why aren't you renewing with them? Would it be possible to go to the property and simply ask what's going on or has the relationship become hostile and potentially violent?

Originally posted by @Doug McRae :

I have a tenant that is ignoring my attempts to contact, his lease ends tomorrow, he was given 30 days notice that lease will not be renewed. I just drove by the property and it looks like no one is moving out by tomorrow. What are my options?

Unlawful detainer and eviction. I would call a eviction lawyer and get the process started

Exact thing happened to me and I expect to see more of this. Tenants are scared of a highly competitive market. Some of them become desperate. 

So I am not the owner but began managing the property at the beginning of the year. The owner did not vet the tenants well and have been delinquent several times throughout the year so does not want to renew with them. I told him to offer “cash for keys” but the owner is not up for that option. Eviction it is. Again thanks for all the feedback!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.