Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Brian Garlington
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Votes |
Tenant only paid 3/4 of the rent, hot water heater not working

Brian Garlington
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Posted Apr 6 2018, 14:47

What would you folks do as landlords. Tenant just moved in last month. Gave full deposit and first month's rent in advance. Upon moving in tenant pointed out the hot water heater was not working. This was verified to be true and I do NOT believe the tenant broke it because when we were showing her the property a week before it was working fine. The property is also in a VERY cold area of Ohio and had been vacant for a few months so it is feasible that this may have occured due to bad timing.  It took my Property Manager about a week to replace the water heater and get it fully functioning again. 

Rent was due yesterday and the tenant simply deposited 3/4 of the rent. No explanation for the shortfall or anything, but I suspect it is because she went an entire week upon move in with no hot water.

My PM has reached out to her via phone and email and I would suspect she will get back to us later today or tommorow.

As a landlord, what would you folks do? I actually see where the tenant is coming from, if that's her reasoning....at the same time I also Do NOT need her trying to set a precedent of simply not paying some of the rent (With no prior notification) if things like this happen.

Thoughts? 

Loading replies...