• Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Airbnb or tenant in my first duplex?

Charlie Kleindinst
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Posted Apr 23 2018, 18:06

I've been qualified on an FHA loan for my first multifamily. 3.5% down. I'm going the house hacking route where I live in one side and rent out the other side on a duplex. Now I've stumbled across a blog on here not too long ago where someone was making triple the income on airbnb over what having a tenant at their current market rental rates are. I feel this could be a valuable strategy as I live in Austin Texas and... There are a lot of tourists and tourist events in this city pretty much all year round. Formula 1, Moto GP, SXSW, ACL, ect.. So living next door and changing sheets doesn't seem like a bad idea for triple the income. I know this is not an accurate estimation of what I could make. Could do worse? Who knows? That's why I'm asking here.

Is it worth it? I mean if I go that route then I would need to furnish the unit with a bed, shower curtains, pots, and pans maybe???? I mean is the cost of furnishing this thing worth what I could potentially make off of airbnb? Or just play it safe and leave it vacant for a tenant? Who's done both? Love to hear some opinions and what I need to do for due diligence? 

Loading replies...