Votes
Nancy P.
  • Naperville, IL
Votes |
At what point is an ice maker expected?

Nancy P.
  • Naperville, IL
Posted May 24 2018, 09:39

This is silly,  but my husband and I cannot agree.  We rent condos in Naperville,  an affluent suburb of Chicago that has been voted one of the best places to live in America a couple of times.  Very good schools.  I don't know if these are A properties because I am new to that framework and as I read the descriptions I'm on the fence.

Anyway,  we always put in SS appliances if the appliances are old,  stone countertop,  paint or replace cabinets,  tile bathrooms if the insert is gross,  etc.  H is convinced that this is the path to higher rents and appreciation.  

Where we cannot agree is on the ice maker.  Buying a fridge with ice maker and perhaps water through the door is at least $1000 more than a basic freezer-on-top model.  Running a water line is about $300.  THEN you have something that is notorious for failing and risk a flood on your property.  I just can't see it.  Husband insists that a "nice"  property has a "nice" fridge that is side by side or French doors,  and ice maker at the very least.  So far we have compromised...if there's a water line there I buy the ice maker,  otherwise not.  But he's getting more and more insistent.

What's your take on it?  Not so much from a landlord POV but as a renter...is there a point at which an old-style fridge would turn you off,  even if it's new and SS?  Our 2 br 1.5 baths rents from $1350-$1450.

Loading replies...