Rental Assistance for Injury

8 Replies

One of my tenants just got into a motorcycle accident and broke his arm. Washington state doesn't require you to have insurance on motorcycles, so he was uninsured. He works in construction, so he is unable to work at the moment. L&I doesn't cover him since he wasn't on the job, and he can't be laid off for unemployment because his boss says that would be fraud. Does anyone know if there are rental assistance programs for this kind of situation? He's a really good tenant and I really want to work with him.

I don't think you should take it upon yourself to help your tenant find alternate income. You are not a social service agency. Remind the tenant that rent is due on the 1st, late on the 2nd and a 5 day will be given if not paid by the 5th. Your tenant chose not to have insurance, and you shouldn't have to look for ways for him to pay his rent. It's called adulting.

Motorcycle insurance doesn't usually cover the rider or passenger's medical.  Liability for other people, yes.  But not the rider.  So, wouldn't have made any difference.  An injury while riding would be covered by your regular medical insurance.  If he has some sort of medical insurance, either through his job, an exchange, or some other route, he should make a claim on that policy, as far as coverage for the injury.

This would be covered by some sort of short term disability policy or an AFLAC type policy.  But I'd guess he has neither of those.

This is one of those cases where you do a "go fund me" and try to get your friends to help you out.  I have quite a few young friends who've done this in similar situations.

Don't get too wrapped up in this.  You're not his mom or friend.  You're just a vendor selling him something.

This is where disability insurance comes in which I’m guessing he doesn’t have.

So like someone else said. Rent is due on the first, late on the 2nd (or whatever day) if he doesn’t pay, File eviction

People who ride motorcycles take a risk of injury much more that those who drive cars.  That being said, I admire your caring attitude but this person is your tenant, not your friend. Rent is  due when it is due and late fees will be attached. He needs to be prepared for the decisions he makes and you are not responsible for his problems.  I would do nothing except give him your condolences for his injury. 

Thanks for all the advice! He came up with rent for the next few months from a friend. I would evict him if it came to that because I realize this is my business, and I also know it's not my job to help him. I just think he's an upstanding guy and wanted to see if I could help him with his situation.

I don't understand everyone who says not to do anything to help. Of course if rent is not paid eviction should follow, but if 30 mins of online research points the tenant in a direction that saves the landlord $XXXX in eviction costs, $XXX in lost rent, and the aggravation of going through eviction...well that seems like a pretty good return on my time to me.

@Andrew B. , if the tenant is interested in financial resources to prevent eviction, then the tenant needs to do that research. Can you imagine doing research every time a tenant approaches you with an excuse? Unless you are renting to 8-year-olds, there is no need to get involved. Offer condolences, and ask if you should pick up rent at the house or the hospital.