Section 8 renters, can they be chosen?

6 Replies

I am looking at a property to purchase. I have a family member who is on section 8 in New Jersey.  Would I be able to get this family members section 8 to pay her rent if I rent her the property? Or when you put your property up for section 8, they send you whoever they want?

As a previous poster just mentioned "doing business" with family can make things challenging.  Make absolutely sure you have them sign a lease, just like any other tenant and hold them to it.

Think long and hard about renting to family. If market rent is $1,000 a month but family says rent to me for $850 a month.....you are missin out on income.

This is really two separate questions: 

1)  To answer the question you asked, yes....you get to choose your tenant. 

2)  To answer the question you didn’t ask, which is can you rent to a Section 8 tenant who is a family member, the answer is....maybe. It depends on the relationship of the family member. It’s generally prohibited for the property owner to be a parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister or brother to anyone in the Section 8 tenant’s household. 

Originally posted by @Kyle J. :

This is really two separate questions: 

1)  To answer the question you asked, yes....you get to choose your tenant. 

2)  To answer the question you didn’t ask, which is can you rent to a Section 8 tenant who is a family member, the answer is....maybe. It depends on the relationship of the family member. It’s generally prohibited for the property owner to be a parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister or brother to anyone in the Section 8 tenant’s household. 

Not a blood relative. It is inlaw. Thanks for the info. Yes, that was my question. She is on section 8, and wanted to get her in a better home than she is now. So my concern was that you could not pick and choose a specific person.