Tenants Without Hot Water

9 Replies

HI all, the propane water heater in one of my units needs to be replaced. It looks like my tenants will be without hot water for a few days while everything gets worked out. Should I offer a rent reduction or something for my tenants for having to deal with no hot water for days?

I would talk with them and get a feel for the situation. They may say no big deal and don't worry about it. They may come across as upset and then you can offer soemting or ask them what they think an appropriate concession would be.

I wouldn't if it is just for a few days.  Things break and wear out.  It is a fact of life every person has to live with.  It's no one's fault or negligence the water heater broke.  And you are living up to your part of being a LL by having it fixed, as soon as it can be done. 

I only compensate when there's a long-term issue. For example, if they were without hot water for a week, then I would consider it.

If you want to be nice, buy them some passes to a local gym or something where they can take the family swimming and then shower.

@Greg Snell i would only offer a concession if it was for over a week.

Life happens and you are in no way ignoring the issue.  Keep them up to date on the situation

and do not over promise and underdeliver 

Originally posted by @Greg Snell :

HI all, the propane water heater in one of my units needs to be replaced. It looks like my tenants will be without hot water for a few days while everything gets worked out. Should I offer a rent reduction or something for my tenants for having to deal with no hot water for days?

The question I usually ask myself in these situations is this: "How long would it take me to get this fixed at my own house?" If it's the same amount of time then I don't offer a concession. If you're going to wait longer (i.e. to get it done cheaper from someone else) then I would consider a concession. Life happens to landlords/tenants. Be reasonable and most tenants will be in return.

@Greg Snell . With the limited information provided I wouldn’t offer a concession. I’ve only offered concessions when it’s a long term or on going issue
@Greg Snell if you are addressing the issue as soon as you found out and it is truly only a few days to get it resolved I would not offer the Tennant anything. I had this same scenario on a gas hot water tank. They were without hot water around 48 hours.