Provide washer and dryer for tenants??

28 Replies

Wondering if it’s a good or bad idea to provide washer and dryer for tenants?

@Dan Forguson it really depends on your property.  If you have a house with a basement and WD hookups down there I would say definitely not.  If you have a main floor closet space that only has room for a stackable unit then I think it makes a lot more sense to consider it.

@Dan Forguson give them the choice. If they would like you to provide them, upcharge them 50 or so buck a month

@Dan Forguson I agree with Bob that it depends upon your property. In nicer areas, you might have to include them to be competitive. I either charge extra for them every month or include a clause in the lease that obligates the tenant to make all repairs to w/d, fridge, stove, dw

Hi;

The washer and dryer came with the property so I kept it in the house and allow the new tenants to use it. I have included language in the lease that outlines it is their  responsibility for the upkeep of the applicants. There's also a dishwasher, microwave and Acs in the rooms. In my area it's a huge selling point for single family houses. Good luck.

@Dan Forguson

I provide them in my duplexes. I buy used so not very expensive. $250 or so for the set. However, my lease includes language that states providing them in the future is not guaranteed.

@Dan Forguson

We do not as it’s just one more thing to fix or replace. If a previous tenant leaves them, and new tenant wants to use it, our lease states we do not fix or replace. Same goes for refrigerators.

I do. I bought an extremely nice Kenmore set. I charge my tenants an additional $40 per month to use them. Bought them  on my Sears card at 0% and will be paid off in three years

@Dan Forguson It just takes one tenant overloading even a nice used washing machine and burning it out to realize you do not want to bear the responibility of maintaining a washer. If you’d like to provide a nice used set, be sure to write into the lease as well as tell the tenants that the washer and dryer are not warranted to last the term of the lease...that you will not repair or replace them. They will take better care of them and if you devide to replace one it is your call...not your obligation.

I include them so I can charge premium rents in an otherwise small unit. My tenants are happy to trade less storage for no trips to the laundromat!

Also check your state laws-in Oregon, if we supply it, we have to maintain it. Not that the law stops some folks from putting it in their lease, but it’s not enforceable here.

Mathew

As I'm about to rent my 1st property, I've decided to not install a w/d. Even tho the hookups are there. I'm over budget, in a C-/D class area. All I can think about is a tenant not taking care of the convenience that I went above and beyond to include. The laundromat isn't far so I'm hopeful that not having them won't dim the light on all the updates I've done.

@Patricia Moore you can also get a home warranty (highly recommended) that would cover appliances and charge the tenant the trade call fee if it’s due to tenant neglect or normal wear and tear. This is what I do for my rental.

Originally posted by @Ryan Mertens :

I do. I bought an extremely nice Kenmore set. I charge my tenants an additional $40 per month to use them. Bought them  on my Sears card at 0% and will be paid off in three years

What would you do if they said no thank you to the $40/mo offer?   Take them out of the house?

Originally posted by @Cassandra Sifford :

As I'm about to rent my 1st property, I've decided to not install a w/d. Even tho the hookups are there. I'm over budget, in a C-/D class area. All I can think about is a tenant not taking care of the convenience that I went above and beyond to include. The laundromat isn't far so I'm hopeful that not having them won't dim the light on all the updates I've done.

Is it already rented?   If yes then you’re good.  If not and that’s a selling point you may want to reconsider

@Dan Forguson

In my market it would put me at a competitive disadvantage not to.

@Chris Purcell ... Its not rented yet. Recently I've seen comps in the area and they hadn't put w/d in the units. One is on my same street, was renovated, but not to the degree as mine. I'm hopeful that will be enough.

For us, it is an excellent selling point.  I can charge $35-50/month extra for in unit laundry (I am still paying for water), and $25ish for units that have access to laundry.  I am not at all interested in tenants hauling their appliances in and out, so we provide everything but the microwave, and that is typical for this area.

I completely agree with @Kelly N. .  Last think you need is tenant damaging things by bringing in appliances and hooking up gas for a stove.  Maybe its a Midwest thing, but we provide all appliances; refrigerator, stove, under hood microwave, and dishwasher.

In my market, in apartments we provide washer and dryers. I don't want tenants hauling their own things through the hallways and up the stairs. They are very basic, usually used, inexpensive appliances. Lately, many of the tenants have their own that they want to use in their apartments. We also pay for W/S/G for these apartments.

In houses, we do not usually provide washer and dryers. If they are already there, we have a clause that states we do not service them. We also don't pay any utilities for the houses.

@Chris Purcell

They deal was made after they moved in and was added as an addendum to their rental contract.

Of course its e on a case by case basis but these are the best Renters I ever had and I made that call based off of rent paid on time and ease of communication.

Hi @Dan Forguson ,

TL;dr

Your market determines this. Read local listings to see what is and is not included to get the best answer for your property.

Long version

There isn't a location listed in your profile which is the *first* thing I looked for to be able to give you an intelligent answer.  Therefore, a lot of what has been written-- while it is well-meaning and informational-- may or may not apply to your situation.

In rural and even some suburban markets things like washers/dryers/dish-washing machines and the like are seen as "nice-to-haves" or the tenant is expected to self-provide. In certain downtown markets** like LA, NY and MD/VA/DC they are expected and the renters unequivocally ignore properties that do not have them. The mentality in these regions is that the property is to be "move-in-ready" with everything needed provided from day one.

As mentioned before, even if you were to provide such appliances the tenant can be held responsible for service calls and this language should be included in the lease.  Service call parameters should be in place anyway, to make sure the tenant keeps some semblance of responsibility and care in the handling the property.

The most important thing for you to do is find out what your market bears and follow suit so that your property receives as many applicants as possible (in the shortest time frame possible).  Doing so ensures you or your property manager will have an adequate pool from which to decide who is the best fit for it.

**of course there are negative areas in all of these locales-- I'm referring to the overall markets, not the inevitable crime pockets

Exactly 50% of my properties have had them. (Therefore 50% have not. ;-) )

It depends on the market.

If you have vinyl/resilient floor, the advantage to providing them is that the tenants are not moving theirs in and out as they come and go.  Every time the machines are moved, you take a chance on tearing the flooring.

@Bob Woelfel I'm curious why you definitely not provide them where the basement has the hookups? If you see this post and have a minute I'd appreciate the background on your thought on that location?

As others have said, it depends on the market and the tenant's expectations. We provide them in some of our units but not all of them.

Admittedly, I like having fewer appliances to worry about when possible. Just a week ago a tenant called me saying the dryer was smoking so we had someone out to look at it. Turns out that it was just steam and we paid $100 for nothing, haha. That's the landlord life for you :) 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here