Home Inspection necessary on an inherited duplex?

6 Replies

Hi, I recently inherited a duplex worth approximately 200k. I have it rented out and I am wondering if I should have a home inspection done? I've never owned a home before. i'm mostly worried about the foudation. The roof, appliances, plumbing seem to be okay. The electrical could use a change soon, but I already know that. The home was built in 1890 so its old. I was planning on doing this inspection for peace of mind, but is it worth it?

Thanks!

If you have never owned a home, a good inspection is a great way to understand the condition of key systems and start putting in place a long-term capital improvement plan.   Be sure to be there while it is being inspected so you can ask questions.

Also, since it is a rent property, this is a business expense.  Don't think of this as a cost out of your pocket, think of it as the cost to responsibly run your business.

Originally posted by @Dominick Marschall :

Hi, I recently inherited a duplex worth approximately 200k. I have it rented out and I am wondering if I should have a home inspection done? I've never owned a home before. i'm mostly worried about the foudation. The roof, appliances, plumbing seem to be okay. The electrical could use a change soon, but I already know that. The home was built in 1890 so its old. I was planning on doing this inspection for peace of mind, but is it worth it?

Thanks!

Yes, if you plan on keeping that property or even selling you want to an inspection. It allows you to know whats the current state of the property, what is wrong with it , what can be improved and what repairs might need to be made. 

What’s risky for some is not risky for others . That being said if you have little to no experience then you better get the peace of mind and do the inspection . I own a duplex from 1876 . I’ve never had an inspection besides my own . Older buildings require a special eye to look for certain things . In your case I’d call a pro tondo this

Yes check the foundation over really good . They settle and shift over time . So do floors and  joists .you need to know your stuff on buildings over 100 years old