Victor Sarkisyan
  • Van Nuys, CA
Votes |
[Los Angeles] Managers trying to evict roommates

Victor Sarkisyan
  • Van Nuys, CA
Posted Jun 23 2019, 16:59

Hi Everyone,

My friend is the manager for a 5 unit complex, and they are currently subleasing to a roommate and his gf who have been living there for 3 years now. Yes, the owner knows and allows subleases, and this is the only building they own so we kind of took the responsibility of working with the owner to figure this situation out.

The roommates signed a two year lease at the start of their move in but never resigned after the two years was up. The lease states that it goes to month to month at the end of the lease. So for the last year they have been living as subtenants on a month to month basis.

Over the last year, things have gone to ****. They dont do a good job cleaning up after themselves, they throw parties where people are invites that do hard drugs and are very noisy, and they have started to be neglectful of their other responsibilities like cleaning altogether.

Every time we leave town with our friends for a weekend trip or something, our friends are always stressed out at what is going on at home.

Three weeks ago they agreed with the roommates that they were given a verbal 60 day notice to leave. Nothing was signed but they agreed to leave. A few days ago, the roommates came back and said "the notice was invalid and they were going to stay, and if the original 60 day was pursued, they would take legal action."

So the question is, what can my friends do to try and remove these tenants?

Additional Info: It is an RSO property. They are subleasing from my friends (manager). No terms on the sublease. It was a friend that turned into a liability.

Loading replies...