Tenants are not moving out on time and no contact.

3 Replies

My tenants gave me 30-day move out notice, and they were supposed to move out by 7/31. It’s been two days but they still have their cars in the driveway, and have some stuffs in the house and garage. It looks like they removed most of their stuffs, so I guess they are still moving. Tried to contact them but no answer. 

They installed extra lock so I couldn’t get in and check if they moved their stuffs in the bedroom..

Since two days have passed already, and I have their move out notice signed and sent them text messages,  Can I have their cars towed and change the locks to get in? 

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

I don't think you can have their cars towed or change the locks on them, while they appear to be living there and their stuff is still there.  This is called a "self-help" eviction, because you're doing it yourself without going to court. This is illegal almost everywhere, as I understand it.

If you can't come to some kind of understanding with the tenants, you'll have to file for eviction.  I don't think you can do that on Saturday or Sunday in most places, so you may have to do it on Monday - two days from now.

It might be the case that their new place wasn't ready until either August 1 (Thursday) or August 3 (Saturday, tomorrow), or they didn't want to take the time off of work to move during the week, and they'll be out by Sunday night, August 4.  Once they are out, and all of their stuff is out (you should look everywhere inside the house to check), I thinkit's legal for you to change the locks on your own.

If it were me, I'd spend the weekend trying to get in touch with the tenants, driving by the place a few times, and researching what it takes to file an eviction.  If they're not out by Sunday night, file the eviction Monday morning, or hire a lawyer to do it for you.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

you are always allowed to enter your property with proper notice, even if that means removing locks that were installed without your written permission. just make sure you document your attempts to provide them with copies of the new key.

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now
Originally posted by @Ji Young Kim:

My tenants gave me 30-day move out notice, and they were supposed to move out by 7/31. It’s been two days but they still have their cars in the driveway, and have some stuffs in the house and garage. It looks like they removed most of their stuffs, so I guess they are still moving. Tried to contact them but no answer. 

They installed extra lock so I couldn’t get in and check if they moved their stuffs in the bedroom..

Since two days have passed already, and I have their move out notice signed and sent them text messages,  Can I have their cars towed and change the locks to get in? 

No. If you wanted to forcefully remove them / their belongings you'd need to file an eviction like with any other tenant. If I were you I would post the 3 day notice on the door today or tomorrow. Then revalue once the 3 day period is up. If you are lucky this will get them to speed things up as all indication is that they are moving out, just on their timeline instead of yours.