Prospective Tenant is asking for Drivers license

9 Replies

Hi,

I bought my first condo in NJ for investment purpose and had a tenant for few months who

The new prospective tenant submitted all paperwork and passed credit check and is willing to sign lease. She requested following items as her lawyer advised her so.

1. CO from the municipal

2. My(Landlord’s) drivers license and work ID

I agreed to #1 and paid $75 to the town’s health dept that has renter’s CCO form that I submitted. Now awaiting an inspection date.

For #2 I agreed to share driver’s license and not my work I’d as it has nothing to do with my condo unit. Now I am having second thoughts as to “Should I even share a copy of my driver’s license”?

I haven’t spoken to a lawyer but curious if BP thinks it’s normal or abnormal and recommends one way or other?

Thanks

I ask to see applying tenants drivers license to confirm they are who they say they are.  I see no issue in a tenant asking for the same verification to make sure you actually own the property.  Lots of rental scams out there where someone impersonates the owner, collects the rent then disappears.

I agree with @Russell Brazil , who are you to demand such personal items from the tenant and flip when they're asking for our ID? The tenant is definitely on the side of caution having an attorney review everything but I cant say I blame her. She's about to enter a long term contract. 

I agree with Russell.

I usually ask for the DL of my tenants and don't have a problem giving mine out either - there's a lot of scammers these days. If they're the type of people that you feel uncomfortable giving your DL to, you probably shouldn't be renting to them.

@Russell Brazil

This is why I agreed. But then they are holding on to my driver’s license copy forever. I am very concerned about data protection and use separate google account for all the communications. I have no issues showing but to give a copy of the license is where my hesitation is.

Originally posted by @Prash Sun :

@Russell Brazil

This is why I agreed. But then they are holding on to my driver’s license copy forever. I am very concerned about data protection and use separate google account for all the communications. I have no issues showing but to give a copy of the license is where my hesitation is.

Just show it to them.  Do not allow them to make a copy of it.