Columbus, GA & Phenix City, AL

18 Replies

Hi Everyone!!

My name is Sharon, and I am a long distance investor from Boston, MA.

I am currently looking for SFH in the Columbus, GA & Phenix City, AL areas. My husband and I, love buying homes around military bases to provide adequate and nice housing for soldiers. I currently have one home in the area in Phenix, City and I am looking to expand my rental portfolio.

Updated almost 2 years ago

Looking to connect with any other investors, lenders, appraisers, contractors, attorneys in the area!!

Hi @Sharon Steenbergen and welcome to BiggerPockets!

Yes, Columbus hit our radar screen just this summer. We are based in Metro Atlanta, and in 2018 we begun looking outside that very overbought market for greener pastures. We're also starting up operations in other Sun Belt states including Texas, New Mexico and Nevada.

I completely agree with you that military bases (and I would add large medical centers) create huge opportunities for many kinds of real estate investment, including short-term rentals, lease/purchase, and self-storage.

Let's connect and compare notes!

@Joe Anderson I'm actually in Clovis (NM) right now. Cannon Air Force Base, which is here, is home to the 27th Special Operations Wing.

I'm also looking at Albuquerque, which has Kirtland Air Force Base.

Originally posted by @Mitch Messer :

Hi @Sharon Steenbergen and welcome to BiggerPockets!

Yes, Columbus hit our radar screen just this summer. We are based in Metro Atlanta, and in 2018 we begun looking outside that very overbought market for greener pastures. We're also starting up operations in other Sun Belt states including Texas, New Mexico and Nevada.

I completely agree with you that military bases (and I would add large medical centers) create huge opportunities for many kinds of real estate investment, including short-term rentals, lease/purchase, and self-storage.

Let's connect and compare notes!

Great chatting with you today! Shooting that email out to you now! Thanks again!

I'd caution you against Clovis (Cannon AFB). If the base ever gets shut down, there is no other industry in the area to keep the town thriving as it is. Albuquerque would be a better selection as the town does not rely on the base.

Good point, @Kevin Sack ! I do like what I've seen so far of Albuquerque.

That said, I'm also learning that, while Texas is very landlord-friendly (much like Georgia), New Mexico seems to be more tenant-oriented, like California. So, Lubbock or Amarillo might be more like what I'm accustomed to.

If you ever swing by Blackwater Coffee Co., I'll buy you a cup of their excellent piñon coffee!

I'm an active investor in Albuquerque with 73 units. I think that NM is pretty landlord-friendly. We have had some evictions and it's not that hard to get people out.

Let me know if anyone wants to connect?

Jens

@Mitch Messer I've been trying to break into Lubbock and I've found it hard to make the numbers work. Spend a few minutes on here reading and you'll see the student housing market is saturated and the rest of the town it's hard to get good bang for your buck.

Hello guys, I am a land lord of about 19 years here in Roswell NM just a stones throw from Clovis and about 3.5hrs from Albuquerque.  I would have to agree with @jen @Jens Nielsen undefined it really does not take much to to evict a tenant that is even a month behind. I am looking to add to my rentals and take action on WSling if you anyone is interested I would love to connect. I have been to REI meetup in Albuquerque a few times as I would like to practice investing out of town/state and work CO, TX and NC while continuing to grow locally.

Originally posted by @David Goings :

@Sharon Steenbergen hey Sharon, I’m on the ground in Columbus and full time real estate. Shoot me a message so we can connect and discuss working together.

-Dave

Thanks so much! Looking forward to chatting with you!