• Blackhawk, CA
Votes |
Advertising for only Section 8 tenants?

Debbie Farmer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Blackhawk, CA
Posted Nov 18 2012, 18:59

Hi,
I just found this fantastic forum while surfing for info. For the last three years I've owned multiple rental properties in an undesirable area in California with good cash flow. Because of the nature of the area I only rent to Section 8 tenants. (Every non section 8 tenant I've had ended up being evicted) Up until now I've had no problem advertising on Craigslist for "Section 8 preferred" or "Section 8 only" But it's been brought to my attention that this is illegal due to discrimination? I mean, I know you can't discrimminate for race, etc, but when it has to do with your financial situation of depending on an income every month, shouldn't a landlord get a say? After all, there are tons of ads that say "no section 8" so why can't an add say "Section 8 only"? Even with non Section 8 tenants there is a criteria for acceptable income set by the landlord. I haven't found a clear answer on this -- and I absolutely want to rent to only Section 8 tenants. I could fly under the radar, but I'd rather just be straight up and not waste anyone's time. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Loading replies...