GoSection8 and yard signs are adverts to steal my stuff?

GoSection8 and yard signs are adverts to steal my stuff?

Accountant · Woodland Park, CO · Member since 2012 · 40 posts · 10 votes

Does anyone have experience with appliances, wiring and pipes walking when using goSection8.com and yard signs. I stopped using signs and saw a big difference, but I'm wondering if I should/should not use GoSection8 since they publish the address. I thought maybe I could say "This is still occupied, so don't bother current tenants."

What are other's experiences?

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y

It all depends where your rentals are located. Rental and For Sale signs are always an invitation for theft, just as a weeks worth of newspapers on the lawn.

There are several ways to reduce the risk of theft. Have the neighbors keep an eye out. Install a security system. Install a temporary camera system. Install a temporary fence around the property (extreme).

Theft will always happen, I have a very wealthy cousin who owns a vacation beach condo in California as they live out of state. Professionals broke in, by passing the motion detector security system and opened an electronic safe and stole over $250,000 worth of jewelry. And I have had a Section 8 rental stand empty for 3 months and nothing was taken.

I NEVER advertise an address, just a general location, "Nice 3 bedroom in the Arroyo Waterfall area". Never send folks by to look at it, always meet them there.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    It all depends where your rentals are located. Rental and For Sale signs are always an invitation for theft, just as a weeks worth of newspapers on the lawn.

    There are several ways to reduce the risk of theft. Have the neighbors keep an eye out. Install a security system. Install a temporary camera system. Install a temporary fence around the property (extreme).

    Theft will always happen, I have a very wealthy cousin who owns a vacation beach condo in California as they live out of state. Professionals broke in, by passing the motion detector security system and opened an electronic safe and stole over $250,000 worth of jewelry. And I have had a Section 8 rental stand empty for 3 months and nothing was taken.

    I NEVER advertise an address, just a general location, "Nice 3 bedroom in the Arroyo Waterfall area". Never send folks by to look at it, always meet them there.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    13y

    Lasersheild alarm will prevent a lot of sleepless nights.

  • Accountant · Woodland Park, CO · Member since 2012 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    Perfect solution Joe! I owe you a beer when I get to Cincinnati.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Joe Delia:
    Lasersheild alarm will prevent a lot of sleepless nights.

    It's also caused me a few sleepless nights, like when it goes off during thunderstorms... :)

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Joe Delia:
    Lasersheild alarm will prevent a lot of sleepless nights.

    It's also caused me a few sleepless nights, like when it goes off during thunderstorms... :)

    Is that the glass breaking detector? I haven't had that happen.

    Only the "loss of supervision" at 4AM

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Joe Delia:
    Lasersheild alarm will prevent a lot of sleepless nights.

    It's also caused me a few sleepless nights, like when it goes off during thunderstorms... :)

    I've had that happen to, when the power went out briefly. It should go to the battery backup when that happens, not set off the alarm.

  • Accountant · Woodland Park, CO · Member since 2012 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    http://simplisafe.com looks like a better deal. They connect to Sprint, so no phone line to cut.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    13y

    Looks good marc. Looks cheaper than lasershield. Lasershield has a cellular set up also.

  • Massachusetts, MA · Member since 2009 · 144 posts · 31 votes
    13y

    How about just plugging one of these systems in, seems to be same price as lasershield, but if you have an alert at 4am, just open your smart phone and take a look.

    http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-Security-System-with-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-6-High-Resolution-Cameras.product.100007979.html

  • Accountant · Woodland Park, CO · Member since 2012 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    That camera requires an ethernet connection.

    I don't think the lasershield cell phone product is available yet.

    I just bought a SimpliSafe so we will see how well it works.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Marc Donovan:
    That camera requires an ethernet connection.

    I don't think the lasershield cell phone product is available yet.

    I just bought a SimpliSafe so we will see how well it works.

    It is. I've had it for a year.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.