Squatters Breaking into my empty 4 plex...

11 Replies

I am trying to get contractors over to start a rehab on my 4 plex. However now 2 weeks in a row, I have squatters breaking in through windows and kicking in doors. My property manager has boarded it up but I am wondering what others would do in this situation of trying to get it rehabbed without having more issues like this?

Fun, huh?  Unfortunately it happens often.  Here's some of the things that have been done in my market:

1. Post Video Cameras In Use on each side and entry to the property.  

2. Post No Trespassing Signs on each corner of the property. In my market, without this notice posted on all four corners of the property, police will not remove/charge any person from the property.

3.  File a No Trespassing Warning with the municipality. Some cities allow landlords to give police full authority to act on their behalf in removing people from the premises. The notice is posted on the building (yes, it's a lot of signs) so that those entering know that the police can break down the door to remove them if needed.

4.  Put up cameras.

5.  Install a spot light that lights up the place so there's no where to hide.

6.  I've hired a security guard to sit at the property for a few nights; even hired a police car (empty) to sit at the property.

Our local builders have done all of this and more. It's now a common practice not to provide a refrigerator on new builds - or only install it after closing - due to the theft issue.

Hope this helps.  May the force be with you...

Posting signs will just say - Hello!  Empty place in here!  Come on down!

Go there in person.  Camp out.  Take care of your business.  If you can't do that, then you need to pay someone who can.

This is the reality of investing out of state in sketchy areas that are affordable - you get what you pay for.  

There is no real get rich quick without any hassles formula.  The only people who are able to do that are the people who sell seminars and books to people hoping to win the lottery without having to actually work.

Originally posted by @Jared Smith :

I am trying to get contractors over to start a rehab on my 4 plex. However now 2 weeks in a row, I have squatters breaking in through windows and kicking in doors. My property manager has boarded it up but I am wondering what others would do in this situation of trying to get it rehabbed without having more issues like this?

I have had luck using a portable cellular-based alarm system such as Simplisafe. It connects directly to the police, which is nice. 

They charge $10 extra just to use their app, which I think is bait-and-switch BS, but there is likely a biggerpockets discount code since they advertise heavily on the podcast. 

Originally posted by @Patricia Steiner :

Fun, huh?  Unfortunately it happens often.  Here's some of the things that have been done in my market:

1. Post Video Cameras In Use on each side and entry to the property.  

2. Post No Trespassing Signs on each corner of the property. In my market, without this notice posted on all four corners of the property, police will not remove/charge any person from the property.

3.  File a No Trespassing Warning with the municipality. Some cities allow landlords to give police full authority to act on their behalf in removing people from the premises. The notice is posted on the building (yes, it's a lot of signs) so that those entering know that the police can break down the door to remove them if needed.

4.  Put up cameras.

5.  Install a spot light that lights up the place so there's no where to hide.

6.  I've hired a security guard to sit at the property for a few nights; even hired a police car (empty) to sit at the property.

Our local builders have done all of this and more. It's now a common practice not to provide a refrigerator on new builds - or only install it after closing - due to the theft issue.

Hope this helps.  May the force be with you...

in some of the rougher areas.  the HVAC water heater and appliances go in the day the tenant moves in.. any sooner and they are stolen.

google DAWGS  Chicago this is what my clients do in that city to do rehabs.. 

The crazy Italian in me says camp out in a downstairs unit with my Louisville Slugger. 

The let's stay out of jail in me says install an alarm system and a surveillance system (Internet will be needed for the surveillance but you can get internet without a contract these days - and you can watch the camera feed live whenever you'd like; though some basic one-camera systems can be used without internet).

That sounds expensive some will say. 

Well... it beats having low-lifes break in - that's expensive as well. And having a hard-wired surveillance system should lower your insurance premium (it does for me) as will a working alarm system (you'll need to send your insurer the alarm certificate - it's easy).

My properties are located in a drug infested ghetto. During rehab we hire a company which installs Steel Ventilated metal screens on door / windows. Its a great system. Look at DAWGS in Chicago I believe they are nationwide

@Jared Smith

Ive had good luck leaving my husky in a property overnight..

He's not actually vicious, but bes up and howling before you can reach the door. And he looks ready to eat you.

@Jared Smith

Smart cameras, you can buy them for 800 online. Call and electrician and hook them up and connect it to your phone. If you’re close to your place you might need to call your friends up and start chilling at the house a couple nights. Make the house look active and squatters will go away.

Dogs work but they have to be big & mean..

I do have an obnoxious large dog that's really mean. 

If you want him I can jump the fence & get him shipped to you asap.