• Blackhawk, CA
Votes |
Neighbor complaints and HOA fines

Debbie Farmer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Blackhawk, CA
Posted Apr 17 2013, 13:32

Hi,
I'm wondering if any of you have had this problem...

I am renting out a condo with an HOA. The neighbor is complaining about my tenants (noise, kids playing outside, etc - nothing illegal) Unfortunately he is also on the board of the HOA. I've spoken to my tenants numerous times and they seem to think he's singling them out. So basically they are pointing fingers at each other.

Unfortunately, the HOA will fine the landlord (me) for my tenants breaking the rules. I totally understand this part, however, can I get an HOA fine solely based on a neighbor's word (even though he's on the board)? Isn't it heresay? Can I demand video evidence? I'm not saying my tenants are totally innocent (I've been a landlord longer than that) however it seems I'm at this disgruntled neighbor's mercy.

Meanwhile I'm caught in the middle - I either have to evict her because of HOA violations that are based on this neighbor's word or keep paying fines if this neighbor keeps complaining (and I have a feeling he will). Unfortunately she is a Section 8 tenant and doesn't have money to reemburse me for the fines.

Another strike against HOAs.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Debbie

Loading replies...