I miss Cozy.co!!!!!!!!!!

28 Replies

Anybody else having issues with apartments.com and wishes Cozy.co never migrated over?? Looking for alternatives now for rent collection. What are you using?!

Alex, please try using the search function as this has been discussed many times over the last few months. 

If you're looking for alternatives, search Biggerpockets or Google for "property management software" and you'll find hundreds of discussions and options.

This is a newer topic as it just migrated not too long. I did search Cozy.co and the first 10 posts that popped up were from 5 years ago. Thanks for your help

I am having significant issues with Apartments.com (never had an issue with Cozy). Can't get anyone to answer the phone, not receiving payments, tenants who had auto payments set up are suddenly not scheduled to pay.  I have sent emails, called and been on hold for over 45 minutes without anyone answering, etc. Sadly, I'll be leaving Apartments.com and this causes an unnecessary inconvenience to my tenants (and to me).  I will try Zillow. 

im a big newbie, 22 yrs old and i use apartments.com for 3 rentals. before i had cozy.co.   i haven't had a issue yet with apts.com

I was a long-time user and proponent of Cozy and was migrated to Apartments. My migration went well and haven’t run into any issues.

I got a bit frustrated with building out an application, but admittedly, I waited until the lat minute and might have been doing something wrong on my end. The main part I don’t like about the application process is that it requires all applicants to get credit/background checks. I would much rather narrow down to one or two prospective tenants before making them pay for the checks… but Zillow and others do the same thing.

It does concern me what I’ve heard about support.

I was a big fan and advocate for a while.

Zillow is the only game in town for me right now. Serious prospects already have a profile/application/background check/credit report completed upon viewing. Zillow let's them apply it to multiple listings without incurring additional fees. My last showing was finished before it happened because my first showing came in with everything done and ready for business.

I know- the horror, they are charging $10 a week. In my opinion it is too cheap.

We had 12 tenants on Cozy and all the properties migrated fine to Apartments. I had no tenant complaints about migration and get payment just the same. My experience with Apartments is actually that they have better support than Cozy. I was never able to get phone support with Cozy, but Apartments has answers the phone and resolves issues quickly. The only issue I had during transition was that I already had an Apartments.com account and Cozy account at the same email. They merged my account which created duplicate properties. I had to delete the duplicates and it fixed the issue. Just be careful the duplicate you delete is not the one where you were collecting rent. No real issues, but I am trying Zillow for rent payment on a new tenant, just to try it out.

Originally posted by Patrick M.:

I was a big fan and advocate for a while.

Zillow is the only game in town for me right now. Serious prospects already have a profile/application/background check/credit report completed upon viewing. Zillow let's them apply it to multiple listings without incurring additional fees. My last showing was finished before it happened because my first showing came in with everything done and ready for business.

I know- the horror, they are charging $10 a week. In my opinion it is too cheap.

Apartments lets people apply to multiple listings too, but of course on their own platform. I like that feature with Zillow and Apartments, because if you have to deny an applicant, they can put their money to use applying somewhere else. I agree with you that paying a fee isn't bad on Zillow. In my market they reduced it to $5 because all landlords stopped using Zillow. 

Originally posted by Mike McCarthy:

I was a long-time user and proponent of Cozy and was migrated to Apartments. My migration went well and haven’t run into any issues.

I got a bit frustrated with building out an application, but admittedly, I waited until the lat minute and might have been doing something wrong on my end. The main part I don’t like about the application process is that it requires all applicants to get credit/background checks. I would much rather narrow down to one or two prospective tenants before making them pay for the checks… but Zillow and others do the same thing.

It does concern me what I’ve heard about support.

I think requiring all applicants to submit to credit / background check is good for several reasons:
1. You are using the same process for everyone.
2. You can still pre-screen before they apply, asking about income, etc.
3. Making them pay $29 per adult helps to filter out people who are less qualified or less interested. 
4. For me, credit report is where most my decision is made, so I need it for every applicant.
Also keep in mind it is only $29 now with Apartments. It was $39.99 for similar with Cozy, so it isn't that expensive for tenants. Both Apartments and Cozy let applicants move their applications to other properties, so the applicant has more value now too.

@Alex Smith I’ve been setting up some clients with Hemlane.com. Their is a monthly fee based on the level of service you want but the interface is pretty great. I think the basic plan is about $36/month. And goes up from there depending on how much you’d like them to handle. They have a huge library of vendors to use for repairs and such as well.

So far it’s been a great experience. I agree that Apartments.com is clunky at best.

Originally posted by @Alex Smith :

Anybody else having issues with apartments.com and wishes Cozy.co never migrated over?? Looking for alternatives now for rent collection. What are you using?!

TY for posting as I had not noticed this being discussed before.  My properties transitioned over ok.  I found the Cozy UI to be very easy and intuitive to use.  Apartments.com, not so much.  I also rent SFHs. Using Apartments.com feels like using motorcycles.com to buy a truck.  Too much trouble to change though. 

I dislike that the properties are in a random order.  I like the apartments to be in 1-2-3 order, so I need to look everywhere to see what the status is.  I also like to go to payments and see that the unpaid ones are at the top and the paid on the bottom of the list.  I dislike that Apartments does not send an e-mail when the payment is scheduled or late...only when paid.

I miss cozy too, but do not want to put the tenants through another change right now.

Loved Cozy. Hate Apartments.com. Apparently I cannot say "Non-smokers only" in my ads as this is discriminatory (really??). Neither can I say "Tenant is responsible for utilities, trash, cable, etc" because the word "responsible" is restricted on their platform. Customer service is also poor, at least in my experience. Like most of Cozy happy customers forced into this transition, I am looking for alternatives. 

Apartments doesn’t let your tenant have their rent payments reported to credit agencies like cozy did.

@Alex Smith I was migrated a few months back and tenants or I haven’t had any problems so far. Not looking forward to going through a tenant turnover as, it looks more cumbersome.

Slowly starting to look into alternatives - just in case.

(And I also appreciate continued discussion about this from others in the same boat)

Yeah cozy was awesome. I moved all of my tenants over to Zillow. It’s my primary way to find tenants, easy to screen them, you can sign the lease vs using a third party and then finally collect payments. I wish they had more features for maintenance requests, one time payments etc but since it’s Zillow my hope is these features will be developed over time and now it “works” but this is only with 4 rentals, I could see it being more of a pain if I had more units.