Fireplace for a home built in 1880

5 Replies

I have a great tenant that has been wonderful. They are asking to get the non-working fireplace working for the winter in Cleveland, OH. Does anyone have a vendor or experience with this? Also curious on any experiences dealing with this - thanks in advance!

Hi Jared,

It might be best to have an inspector check it out (vs asking on the internet)--it may be dangerous.

Check with your insurance company--your rates might go up.

Good Luck!

Most landlords that I know won’t allow working fireplaces, the liability is big.  I agree with @Scott Mac that you should check with your insurance company and make sure your covered for that.  Last thing is that it can cause soot in the unit.  One possible alternative would a digital insert?

Promotion
Guaranteed Rate
Guaranteed Rate is a top mortgage lender
Save $1,290 on your next home – no lender fee*
Get special perks like $1,290 in lender fee savings when you buy a second home with Guaranteed Rate.
Apply Now

@Jared Smith you could have this evaluated and have a chimney inspection done.  It may be it is not worth it to have a wood burning fireplace in this home if it is older. You could need a chimney liner or even chimney work. In a narrow chimney a liner can be difficult.   One option is to convert to something else but you would need to buy an insert and that might not be what they are looking for. 

You also need to make sure you have insurance covering this. 

SE MI here.  We prohibit the use of fireplaces in our homes.  Most that have them are built in the 30's-40's and are natural.  Just to large of a liability.  A decent number of them are closed off as well.  

Originally posted by @Jared Smith :

I have a great tenant that has been wonderful. They are asking to get the non-working fireplace working for the winter in Cleveland, OH. Does anyone have a vendor or experience with this? Also curious on any experiences dealing with this - thanks in advance!

It's a hazard. Leave it capped.