Dogs and Hardwood Floors

10 Replies

We are considering allowing a couple with (2) Golden Retrievers to rent our home. We have Newly refinished hardwood floors (About 1500 sqft worth) /our Lower Level is Carpet and tile. When I did a google search-looking at estimates on restoration- I'm seeing $3 to $8 per square foot (but I believe this is refinishing.. not restoring -  how have you structured your lease to cover your valuable assets? (in this case.. hardwood floors) - we are in Cincinnati Ohio. 

With those particular dogs, I would have a hefty pet deposit for starters. Then just write into your lease that the tenant is responsible for any and all damage caused by their pets.....

!500 sq ft sanded and 3 coats is pretty standard and will cost 2.50-3.00 dollars a foot; so you do the math! Those dogs especially a pair-will absolutely shred your wood floor. We quit allowing dogs as best we can; I don't want to ask for a 6k deposit, although I wish I had!

Promotion
Sharestates
America's Private Lender
Receive Fix and Flip Funding Approval In As Little As 24 Hours!
Sharestates helps developers and brokers secure funding quickly with the most competitive terms.
Get Funded

@Kodi Clark If you are concerned about the floors, don't allow the dogs. Just as @Bjorn Ahlblad said, those dogs will ruin the floors in no time. Even one dog will cause damage unless it's a tea cup size dog. The other option is a hefty pet rent per dog on top of a large pet deposit but even then it probably won't be enough to cover the costs. Good luck. 

@Kodi Clark I ran into this same issue after renovating my first duplex I purchased. I spent a lot of extra time and money repairing and refinishing hardwoods throughout this property. I allow pets at all of my rentals, and after one lease the hardwoods were scratched up by pets. Now I only install vinyl plank flooring in all of my apartments, its cheaper, looks nice, waterproof, and very scratch resistant. I would lose thousands of dollars in cash flow every year if I did not allow pets, so for me it comes down to tenant and pet proofing instead. I am also Cincinnati based. 

@Bruce Woodruff No, I am saying the pet fees alone add thousands in cash flow. We have zero economic vacancy here in Cincinnati, Ohio. When I post a new apartment for rent I get thousands of clicks and hundreds of messages within a day or two. 

I personally allow pets in my rentals but i am a dog person!  Depending on how long you plan to keep the properties i would suggest laying LVP overtop the hardwoods and preserving them, which you can easily remove when you go to sell down the road... Good learning lesson though.  in the future i would just go straight for the LVP and refinish them at a later date if needed